Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange dreams

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1

Gold Member

Totaly un connected from your every day life, i had the most strange one ever last night, and i can not imagine where my mind draged it up from.
    Do you ever have odd dreams?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2
    Is it normal not to have many dreams? I hardly EVER have dreams. Only once in a blue moon. The only dream I can remember being odd is being a kid and finding a big train set in a box. Another time I had a ferrari, and I drove to my friends house and we went driving around in it. But thats it as far as I can remember.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  4. Feb 12, 2006 #3

Gold Member

In the past yes! :cool:
  5. Feb 12, 2006 #4
    YES. The other night I dreamt I was driving down a street at night. I made a right turn and everything got really dark (no more street lamps) and for some reason, I didn't have my headlights on. So I reach over to turn them on and they don't work and I start to panic because I can't see anything. Then I hear this really weird alien-movie sound and all of a sudden, I lose control of my body and just topple over onto the steering wheel. Then I pass out and later wake up (inside my dream) in a bedroom at night. I hear the sound of a snowy television channel, but the tv across the room isn't on. I notice a faintly flickering glow from a standing lamp with a shade, as though there were a tv monitor inside it. I get up to shut off the lamp and it roars at me. And then I woke up.
  6. Feb 12, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's possible to not dream, but more commonly, you just don't remember the dreams when you wake up.

As for weird dreams, yeah, usually when I can remember my dreams, they turn out to be pretty weird.
  7. Feb 13, 2006 #6
    Like Moonie it's usually only the weird dreams that I remember.

I had one once where I was a detective on another planet investigating a mass murder.

I had one where I was a POW in a futuristic war where they used some sort of transporter to remove healthy organs from POWs and put them into their wounded soldiers.

There was one where there was this rabbi running away from crusaders in a very weird sort of scene that was a cross between Mel Brooks and Monty Python.

I was in an old school theatre troupe and had the lead actress hitting on me.

ect ect...
  8. Feb 13, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes I dream and sometimes I do my "astral wandering". *yawn* Think I'll go do some of that now. Do not be frightened if you see me, Woolie. :smile:
  9. Feb 13, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once dreamt that I could time-travel by drinking anti-freeze. When I woke up I could actually taste it.

I spent years getting attacked by a big wicker chair at night.

Dreams have allowed me to solve problems that had alluded me thus far. I have dreamt real solutions for a number of issues including motorcycle engine assembly, brain storming concepts, circuit design, math, chemistry, physics, and for personal problems as well.
  10. Feb 13, 2006 #9

Gold Member

Recently I dream of PFand PF'ers. I think that's because I spend so much time here!
  11. Feb 13, 2006 #10
    I have alot of weird dreams involving spiders and elevators. Any ideas?
  12. Feb 13, 2006 #11
    Repressed fears of spiders and close spaces...
  13. Feb 13, 2006 #12
    Maybe I dont dream because I average 6-6.5 hours of sleep a day. (about 3.5 hours of sleep after this post until I gota wake up)
  14. Feb 13, 2006 #13
    Couple years ago I had a weird dream where I was wandering around kind of staggering and disoriented. It occured to me I might be dreaming, so I staggered over to these people sitting at an outdoor cafe set up in the middle of a road underneath a bridge, and asked, kind of urgently and drunken sounding: "Is this a dream?"

It was, like, a sixty year old couple, kind of upper middle class/well to do, just sitting there trying to enjoy their coffee, and the way the woman looked at me, it was clear I was a really unwelcome and peculiar interruption. She eyed me with caution and a bit of fear, shook her head, and said "Noooo..." (Meaning: No, it wasn't a dream), so I turned and staggered away, and the scene dissolved to some other.

Course, I woke up seriously wondering if some couple at an outdoor restaurant somewhere hadn't been approached by some drunk appearing zoobie asking stupid quetions.
  15. Feb 13, 2006 #14
    Depends specifically on how you feel about them in the dream and how you feel about them in waking life.
  16. Feb 13, 2006 #15

Gold Member

17. Feb 13, 2006 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spiders = the web

elevators = PF. All alone at the top. :cry:

18. Feb 13, 2006 #17
    The spiders are always petrifying, they are ugly and narly things that are around me and usually I find myself unwillingly pulled near them or I find myself under them.

The elevators are always in a tall building I'm going up, sometimes I switch elevators and somehow at the end I find myself at a mass transit area like a highway, subway or airport.

When I wake up they have a powerful, existential and nostalgic feeling to them and I think about them the whole day. Also the dreams usually have a person I know in them like a friend, family member or ex gf. Maybe I need a shrink!
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  19. Feb 13, 2006 #18
    What's your reactions to real spiders in real life? In the dreams are they associated with a specific place, or kind of place?
    How do you feel about the elevators? Is it some kind of fear, like with the spiders, like it's going to drop? Or is it something else. What are your emotions in the mass transit place? How do you feel when you're in a place like that in real life?
    Nope. I've never met anyone who didn't have the same strong, lingering kind of reaction to dreams now and then.
  20. Feb 13, 2006 #19
    I usually am interested in insects and spiders, however I don't necessarily like them or like having them near me. The places are always indoors in like a room or basement.

Elevators are fine with me, no problem, I live on the 11th floor of an apt. In the dream I'm not scared either. Also no problem with mass transit, I live downtown in a large city.

They must be some complex metaphorical symbols.
  21. Feb 13, 2006 #20

Gold Member

Are they with you from the bigining to the end?

P.S. Not surprising if you have these starnge dreams every night since you think of them the whole day!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?