Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Folder name

1. Jul 30, 2004 #1
    For example a folder in my computer has the following name..

What can I say about those hex ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

Don't know anything about that. Some time back I came across a file called GHOST.EXE. I was too chicken to run it to find out what it does.
  4. Jul 31, 2004 #3
    I typed it into Google. It's always a quick way to find out if a file turns out to be something that has caused harm to other people's computers. If so, you'll usually find something written about it through a search.

5. Jul 31, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

Thanks for doing the legwork, Dagenais. "Ghost.exe has no damaging code in its original state," says one of the sites that Google hits.
  6. Jul 31, 2004 #5
    Where did you find the weird file name? I think (not a windows use for some time now) that IE keeps a collection of files with names like that. The names are generated for each individual system to prevent malicious code from reading chach files or something like that.
  7. Jul 31, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Windows registry keys have names like that, don't delete.
  8. Aug 1, 2004 #7
    I like filenames say hookerJane.exe. OMLB.exe (oh, my loved Bridge/Berlindog)
  9. Aug 13, 2004 #8
    Actually windows registry keys have names like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId
    That is what is called a CLSID.
  10. Aug 13, 2004 #9
    The folder might contain an InstallShield or Windows Installer source. If so, don't delete.
    Here's a neat thing you can do: create a folder anywhere you like called
    It behaves like the Control Panel :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?