Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Hamilton Jacobi equation

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    let be (dS/dt)+(gra(S))^2/2m+(LS)+V(x) where L is the Laplacian Operator and V is the potential...could it be considered as the Hamiltan Jacobi equation for a particle under a potential Vtotal=V(x)+(LS) where S is the action
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2004 #2
    I assume you mean to equate to 0, i.e.:

[tex] \frac{\partial S}{\partial t}\right)+\frac{(\vec\nabla S)^2}{2m}+\vec\nabla S+V(q)=0 [/tex]

If we compare it to the Hamillton-Jacobi equation for the generating function S (a concept more general than the "action")

[tex] H\left(q,\frac{\partial S}{\partial q},t\right)+\frac{\partial S}{\partial t}=0 [/tex]

we find they are compatible provided we let

[tex] H\left(q,\frac{\partial S}{\partial q},t\right)=\frac{(\vec\nabla S)^2}{2m}+\vec\nabla S+V(q) [/tex]

Since [tex] p_i=\frac{\partial S}{\partial q_i} [/tex], we can rewrite it as

[tex] H\left(q_i,p_i,t\right)=\frac{(\sum_i p_i)^2}{2m}+\vec\nabla S+V(q) [/tex]

[tex] H=T+W [/tex]

[tex] W=\sum_i p_i+V(q_i) [/tex].

Here we see that [tex] W=f(p_i,q_i) [/tex], in other words the "potential" W is not conservative and the meaning of W is that of "virtual work". Is that the source of your doubts?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?