Why do ice cubes form strange icicles on top when frozen?

In summary: ...i knew it couldn't just be water dripping from the roof...had a hunch that there was some cool physics going on here.
JabberWalkie
So, I've noticed that when I freeze ice cubes these strange icicles appear on the top of the ice. I took a picture, included as an attachment.

Not really sure how something like this forms. Please no speculation.

Attachments

• icecube.jpg
    icecube.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
That is formed by deposition from above. Drip, drip, drip. Think stalagmite.

I don't see how, its a freezer...every thing is frozen, so nothing drips from above. Also, its not formed vertically, it is at an angle to the normal.

If you can come up with an alternate answer (one that does not violate the laws of physics) please feel free. There is only one way that a stalagmite-type extension can form on an ice cube. There could be a number of causes for the dripping, but the method of formation (deposition of liquid water from above and freezing into a column) is not negotiable.

All freezers have defrost cycles, JabberWalkie. There most certainly is liquid water on the walls and ceiling from time to time.

Not "negotiable"? Holy Jeez Turbo...

They are not stalagmites. Just because it walks like a duck doesn't mean it's a duck!

They are called Ice Spikes. They are formed as the top layer of water freezes over, leaving a smaller and smaller hole. The expansion of freezing water below this thin layer of ice causes water to bulge up through the hole, where it freezes in a ring.

Physically, if they can be compared to anything, they are more akin to deep sea volcanic vents.

(And I knew this before I looked on Wiki)

Last edited:
Dave is exactly right. This is just the inverse effect of shrink porosity in metal casting (hence the use of risers).

Wow, I'd never heard of those things either. Learn something new...

Nice...

Thanks guys!...i knew it couldn't just be water dripping from the roof...had a hunch that there was some cool physics going on here. Thanks guys!

What causes ice cubes to crack and split?

Ice cubes crack and split due to a phenomenon called thermal shock. This occurs when the ice is exposed to a sudden change in temperature, causing the outer layer of the ice to expand or contract at a different rate than the inner layer. This creates stress within the ice, leading to cracks and splits.

Why do some ice cubes sink while others float?

The density of ice cubes is dependent on the amount of air trapped within the ice. If the ice is less dense than water, it will float. However, if the ice is more dense than water, it will sink. The amount of air trapped within the ice can vary, causing some ice cubes to float while others sink.

Can different shapes of ice cubes affect their melting rate?

Yes, the shape of an ice cube can affect its melting rate. Ice cubes with a larger surface area will melt faster because there is more area for the surrounding heat to transfer to. This is why ice cubes with a smaller surface area, such as a sphere, will melt slower than ice cubes with a larger surface area, such as a cube.

Why do ice cubes sometimes stick together in the freezer?

Ice cubes can stick together due to a process called sintering. This occurs when the ice cubes are slightly melted and then refreeze, causing them to fuse together. This can also happen if the temperature in the freezer is not cold enough, causing the ice cubes to partially melt and stick together.

What causes ice cubes to be cloudy or clear?

The cloudiness or clarity of ice cubes is determined by the purity of the water. If the water has impurities, such as minerals or air bubbles, they will become trapped in the ice and make it appear cloudy. On the other hand, if the water is pure, the ice cubes will appear clear. The freezing process can also affect the clarity of ice cubes, as slower freezing can create larger ice crystals, resulting in a cloudy appearance.