Is this indefinite integral really unsolvable?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proposed math problem involving an integral that Mathematica and WolframAlpha were unable to solve. It is revealed that most integrals are not solvable in terms of elementary functions, and numerical methods are often used instead. The integrand in question may be a typo or a definite integral, and further investigation is needed to determine the correct solution.
Metaleer
Hey, all.

Anyway, browsing the Internet a bit I found this integral:

[tex]\int \sqrt{1 + \frac{\ln x}{x}}dx[/tex]​

as a proposed problem in a compilation of maths problems, as an integral from the MATYC journal. I gave it to Mathematica and WolframAlpha and they weren't able to solve it; WolframAlpha even claims there's no result found in terms of standard mathematical functions.

Any ideas? Perhaps Mathematica/WolframAlpha is on the fritz? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
I highly suspect that wolfram alpha is correct. I think that there are indeed no elementary function that give that function as derivative. This isn't special, you know? It happens to a lot of integrals, for example

[tex]\int{e^{x^2}dx}~\text{and}~\int{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}dx}[/tex]

can not be solved in terms of elementary functions. In fact, it is a criticism that I have for most calculus classes: they don't stress enough that most integrals are not solvable. When you come out of a calculus class, you think you can solve any integral, but this is simply false.

But numerical methods still work however...

While it's true that most integrals that one can think of have no elementary antiderivative, WolframAlpha claims that it can't find a result in terms of standard mathematical functions that it knows - and Wolfram Alpha knows many non-elementary functions like the Gaussian (erf and erfc) and sine integral that you gave as examples.

Numerical methods are usually left for numerical integration of definite integrals - remember that this is an indefinite integral that we're looking for, or primitive or antiderivative if you prefer (although a Taylor series expansion could be found, I guess, atleast for a limited interval).

What surprised me is that it appeared as a puzzle in a mathematical journal. Perhaps it's a typo? If it helps, I found it http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KX6D6hefyA0C&printsec=frontcover", on page 84, MATYC 125.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, that is weird. I've checked some other mathematical software, but they also say that they cannot find a solution. So I think there's a typo somewhere. I have the feeling that they forgot to type the range of the integral, and that it's actually a definite integral...

Thanks for all the input, micromass. It may be possible to locate the original MATYC issue in question and see if there is indeed a typo and the integrand is messed up and/or it's actually a definite integral.

1. What is a "strange indefinite integral"?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the area under a curve or the antiderivative of a function. A "strange" indefinite integral refers to an integral that is difficult or unusual to solve using traditional methods.

2. How is a strange indefinite integral different from a regular indefinite integral?

A strange indefinite integral may involve more complex functions or require non-traditional techniques to solve. It may also result in an answer that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

3. What are some examples of strange indefinite integrals?

Some examples include integrals involving special functions such as the gamma or beta function, integrals with trigonometric or exponential functions raised to a power, and integrals with irrational or transcendental functions.

4. How do scientists and mathematicians approach solving strange indefinite integrals?

They may use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or series expansion to simplify the integral and make it more manageable. They may also use computer software or numerical methods to approximate the solution.

5. Why are strange indefinite integrals important?

They provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help to advance mathematical research and the development of new techniques for solving complex problems.