Can You Solve This Strange Indefinite Integral?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve a difficult integral and asking for help. Another person quickly provides the answer using Maple, while another suggests using integration by parts. Eventually, someone else solves it using the suggested method.
GodsmacK
Hello, everyone

I've trying to solve this integral but it seems like the methods I know are not enogh to solve it. So I'd be glad if you could give me some trick to get into the answer.
Here it is:

33wtvdw.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maple knocked it out right away (I have no idea what the details are):

Integral = num/den
where
num =(x*e^x*(tan((1/2)*e^x))^2-x*e^x+2*tan((1/2)*e^x))
den=(1+tan((1/2)*e^x))*e^x

Perhaps having the result in hand will enable you to go back and fill in the gaps.

I found it to be e-xsin(ex) - xcos(ex) + c
This was through Wolfram and I would guess integration by parts somehow

Hey guys!

I've just solved this thing. In fact, like Charles wrote, it is integration by parts. First you distribute the [itex]\sin(e^x)[/itex] into the parenthesis, then you do the substitution [itex]u=e^x[/itex]. After some steps you shall get something like this:

[itex]I=\int \ln(u) \sin(u)du-\int \frac{\sin(u)}{u^2}du[/itex]

Applying integration by parts:

[itex]I=-\cos(u) ln(u)+\int \frac{\cos(u)}{u}du+\frac{\sin(u)}{u}-\int \frac{\cos(u)}{u}du[/itex]

And there you are... As you see the non-primitive function integral gets cancelled.

Likes Charles Stark
Eureka! And substituting back reduces it down. Aren't integrals just a blast?

1. What is a strange indefinite integral?

A strange indefinite integral is an integration problem that does not have a straightforward solution using traditional methods. It often involves unconventional functions or limits, making it difficult to solve using standard techniques.

2. How do you solve a strange indefinite integral?

Solving a strange indefinite integral often requires creative thinking and the use of advanced integration techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions. It may also involve using specialized software or numerical methods to approximate the solution.

3. Can a strange indefinite integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, a strange indefinite integral can have multiple solutions. This is because unconventional functions or limits may have different interpretations or approaches to integration, leading to different solutions. It is important to carefully check the validity and accuracy of each solution.

4. Why are strange indefinite integrals important?

Strange indefinite integrals are important because they allow us to solve complex problems that cannot be solved using traditional integration methods. They also allow us to model and analyze real-world situations that involve unconventional functions or limits.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving strange indefinite integrals?

To improve your skills in solving strange indefinite integrals, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic integration techniques and to practice solving a variety of integration problems. You can also read textbooks or online resources that cover advanced integration methods and techniques for solving unusual integrals.