How do these triangular toothpick ion engines lift off the ground?

In summary, these machines are called ion lifters and are capable of rising off the ground, which is something traditional ion engines cannot do. However, their effectiveness is dependent on the thrust to weight ratio and the type of ions being used. If they use air as their source of ions, they would not work in space due to the lack of particle density. Additionally, if they require a power source through wires, their lifting capabilities would be limited. Ion thrusters, on the other hand, do work in space but have low thrust.
Arian
These are machines that I just learned about while I was bored. So, i will now ask about what looks like a triangular toothpick ion engine.

So these lifters are really strange, I don't know how they work,
http://www.americanantigravity.com/articles/256/1/Lifter-Plans
here they are.

From what I have read though, they are ion-like engines, which are capable of on-ground rising, something ion-engines in space can't do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Arian said:
These are machines that I just learned about while I was bored. So, i will now ask about what looks like a triangular toothpick ion engine.

So these lifters are really strange, I don't know how they work,
http://www.americanantigravity.com/articles/256/1/Lifter-Plans
here they are.

From what I have read though, they are ion-like engines, which are capable of on-ground rising, something ion-engines in space can't do.
Well, one has to look at thrust to weight ratio. If thrust is less than weight, there is not acceleration. Also, consider what ions are being used. If the ion lifters use air, then they would be useless in space, which is essentially a vacuum, i.e. very low particle density. And lifter capability would diminish with altitude.

If lifters receive power from wires, then they are not 'lifting' the power supply, which would add weight.

See this article for more information -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifter_(ionic_propulsion_device)

Ion thrusters do work in space - in 'low' gravity fields. They have relatively high Isp (specific impulse), but low thrust.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are strange lifter machines and how do they work?

Strange lifter machines are a type of experimental propulsion technology that utilizes high-voltage electrical fields to generate thrust. They work by creating a gradient of ions between the positive and negative electrodes, which causes the air molecules to move and produce lift.

2. What are the potential applications for strange lifter machines?

Strange lifter machines have potential applications in the aerospace industry for small-scale unmanned aircrafts and satellites. They may also have uses in the medical field for non-invasive surgery and in transportation for hovercrafts and personal vehicles.

3. Are there any limitations or downsides to using strange lifter machines?

One of the main limitations of strange lifter machines is their low efficiency, which means they require a significant amount of energy to produce a small amount of thrust. They are also limited in their ability to operate in certain weather conditions, such as high humidity or strong winds.

4. How do strange lifter machines compare to traditional jet engines?

Strange lifter machines are significantly different from traditional jet engines, as they do not use any moving parts or combustion. This makes them much quieter and potentially safer, but also less powerful and efficient compared to jet engines.

5. What advancements or developments are being made in the field of strange lifter machines?

Scientists and engineers are continuously researching ways to improve the efficiency and performance of strange lifter machines. This includes experimenting with different electrode configurations, using alternative gases, and developing new power sources, such as solar panels or batteries.