What is causing the strange light phenomenon in my bedroom?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a strange optical phenomenon observed on a television screen, where light is being reflected and refracted to create a pattern resembling dragonfly wings or X-fighter wings from Star Wars. The group discusses the possible explanation for this phenomenon, with the conclusion that it is likely caused by the pixels on the TV acting as a diffraction grating. The shape and angle of the pattern depend on the angle of incidence and the individual pixels on the screen. The thread ends with a reference to a similar discussion on the topic.
Dazzletoad
Hi ladies and gents!

I'm new to the physics community and completely useless in the subject area, however I am extremely interested in physics.

After turning off the television just now I noticed something odd.

There is a big mirror behind the bed, and the television is on the wall in front. The light above the television is being reflected in the mirror, and in turn being reflected back off the television.

In the television I see the light with bar like rainbow coloured divisions, each one containing repeating colours of the rainbow.

Can anyone explain what's going on here, I see nothing on the tv screen that is segmenting the coloured bars of light, and cannot explain how they have taken the arrangement and resemblence of dragonfly wings, or Xfighter wings from Star Wars :p

Looking forward to the replies. See attached pictures for the visuals.
1462378061755.jpg
1462378054527.jpg
1462378050033.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
If I had to guess, I'd say the pixels on your TV are acting like a diffraction grating. This would explain why different colors get reflected to different locations. You can see something similar when you use a smartphone as a mirror. At certain angles you see a rainbow effect too.

Yeah I've seen that too but this is in a fixed position.

Whats weird is why that shape? If its pixels then what is stopping the rest of the screen producing the effect elsewhere even when i look at the screen from different proximities and angles?

It's the same thing with my smartphone. I have to look at it at specific angles to see it. The glass on the TV screen might be acting like an interference filter, which is the same thing responsible for the rainbow colors on oil slicks.

As far as the particular shape of the pattern goes, I'll admit, that's pretty interesting. A single rainbow band on either side would be a classic diffraction pattern. The x-shaped rainbow bands, where it's not at 90 degree angles is harder to immediately explain. If it were at 90 degrees, that'd be another classic diffraction pattern. It might just be an effect of the angle of incidence. Do you see it if you shine a light on the TV and look at the direct reflection?

Better still, does the angle of the X change with the angle of the light source incident on the TV?

I did a little experiment with my own TV, where I shined a small flashlight on it from different angles. The pattern definitely changed with angle, and I was able to get a pattern similar to the one you have. We can definitely chalk this up to the pixels acting like a diffraction grating.

Out of curiosity, what do the individual pixels look like? Mine look like zig-zag stripes of red, green, and blue.

I am in the Philippines at the moment and its after 1am. I shall check tomorrow and report back with the results.

Cheers ^^

What causes strange light phenomenon?

Strange light phenomenon can be caused by a variety of natural and man-made factors. Some common causes include atmospheric conditions such as refraction of light, electrical storms, or the reflection of light off of surfaces. It can also be caused by human activities such as fireworks, laser light shows, or aircraft lights.

Are there any scientific explanations for strange light phenomenon?

Yes, there are scientific explanations for most strange light phenomenon. As mentioned before, atmospheric conditions and human activities can play a role. Additionally, some strange light phenomenon can be explained by natural occurrences such as bioluminescence in certain organisms or solar flares interacting with the Earth's magnetic field. However, there are still some unexplained light phenomenon that continue to puzzle scientists.

Can strange light phenomenon be dangerous?

In most cases, strange light phenomenon pose no danger to humans. However, there are rare instances where they can be hazardous. For example, if a strange light is caused by a malfunctioning power line or electrical equipment, it can pose a risk of electrocution. Additionally, some people may experience seizures or migraines when exposed to certain types of flashing or pulsing lights.

Do strange light phenomenon only occur on Earth?

No, strange light phenomenon have been observed on other planets and moons in our solar system as well. For example, Jupiter's moon Io has active volcanoes that produce bright, glowing plumes of gas. Saturn's moon Enceladus also has strange light phenomenon in the form of icy geysers that reflect sunlight in interesting ways.

Can strange light phenomenon be predicted?

In some cases, yes. For example, the Northern Lights (also known as Aurora Borealis) can be predicted and even forecasted based on solar activity and weather conditions. However, other types of strange light phenomenon are more difficult to predict and may occur randomly. Scientists continue to study and research these phenomena to better understand and potentially predict them in the future.