1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange limit question

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    Let [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be given. Let [itex]L[/itex] be a real number. State the condition for saying that as [itex]x[/itex] tends to [itex]a[/itex], the limit of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is not [itex]L[/itex]. The statement ought to begin with "Given there exists [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]".

Best guess: [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x) \neq L[/itex] means, given there exists [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex]|x-a|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| > \epsilon[/itex]. I'm really not sure about this, however.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2
    Nonremovable singularity?
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    Pardon me?
  5. Jun 20, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, lets go over the rule for the limit:

Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exists a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that for all x satisfying:

we have:

Now, what happens if L is not the limit?

Then there should exists an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that for some [itex]\delta>0[/itex] and all x satisfying:

we have:

Make sure you understand these two differences. If L is the limit, by choosing [itex]\delta [/itex] small enough I can make the difference between L and f as small as I want.

If L is not the limit, then no matter how small I make [itex]\delta[/itex], I can always find an [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that the difference between f and L will be larger.
  6. Jun 20, 2005 #5
    So I was correct? Great, thanks for your help saltydog.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?