Find the Condition for Limit of f(x) Not Equal to L | Given \epsilon > 0

In summary, the condition for saying that as x tends to a, the limit of f(x) is not L, is given there exists \epsilon > 0 there exists \delta > 0 such that |x-a|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| > \epsilon. The difference between L and f can always be made larger, no matter how small \delta is chosen, when L is not the limit.
jdstokes
Let [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be given. Let [itex]L[/itex] be a real number. State the condition for saying that as [itex]x[/itex] tends to [itex]a[/itex], the limit of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is not [itex]L[/itex]. The statement ought to begin with "Given there exists [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]".

Best guess: [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a}f(x) \neq L[/itex] means, given there exists [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex]|x-a|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| > \epsilon[/itex]. I'm really not sure about this, however.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nonremovable singularity?

Pardon me?

First, let's go over the rule for the limit:

Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exists a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that for all x satisfying:

[tex]|x-a|<\delta[/tex]

we have:

[tex]|f-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

Now, what happens if L is not the limit?

Then there should exists an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that for some [itex]\delta>0[/itex] and all x satisfying:

[tex]|x-a|<\delta[/tex]

we have:

[tex]|f-L|>\epsilon[/tex]

Make sure you understand these two differences. If L is the limit, by choosing [itex]\delta [/itex] small enough I can make the difference between L and f as small as I want.

If L is not the limit, then no matter how small I make [itex]\delta[/itex], I can always find an [itex]\epsilon[/itex] such that the difference between f and L will be larger.

So I was correct? Great, thanks for your help saltydog.

What is a "strange limit question"?

A "strange limit question" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the value of a limit that does not exist or is undefined. It often involves taking the limit of a function as it approaches a certain value, such as infinity or zero, and the result may be unexpected or unusual.

How do you solve a strange limit question?

Solving a strange limit question requires using mathematical techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule, substitution, or algebraic manipulation. It also requires understanding the properties of limits and how they behave in different situations. Practice and familiarity with these techniques can help in solving these types of problems.

Why are strange limit questions important?

Strange limit questions are important because they challenge our understanding of mathematical concepts and help us improve our problem-solving skills. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering, where limits are used to model real-world situations.

What are some common mistakes when solving strange limit questions?

Some common mistakes when solving strange limit questions include forgetting to apply the correct limit laws, making calculation errors, or not considering all possible cases. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check the steps of the solution to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my skills in solving strange limit questions?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving strange limit questions. It is also helpful to review and understand the properties of limits, as well as different techniques for solving them. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in improving your skills in this area.