Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Number Systems

1. May 24, 2004 #1
    There have been strange number systems used in the past in different parts of the world ... do you know any? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've mentioned this before: The T'lingut people of coastal Washington State, United States and British Columbia, Canada, counted on the spaces between their fingers rather than on their fingers and so had a number system based on 4 and 8 rather than 5 and 10.

4. May 24, 2004 #3
    Lol...that bold[is] strange

5. May 24, 2004 #4

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

lol, but I would imagine a lot easier to work with computers if they had ever made it to the computer age.

6. May 24, 2004 #5

EL

Science Advisor

Must say I would like to have that system instead...to me it looks more beautiful!

7. May 24, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a long time, number systems were "baseless". Look at Roman Numerals for instance - it takes cartloads of numerals to write a 4 or 5 digit (decimal) number.

Now isn't that strange ?

8. May 25, 2004 #7
    Lol....Gokul...ur right

9. May 25, 2004 #8

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know about that. The Romans had an awkward number system, but most civilizations before, during, and after them I would assume, had decent number systems. The Hindu system of numbers upon which our current decimal system is based existed either before or during the time of the Romans. Also, I don't think number systems, except for the Romans (all I can think of) were baseless. The first number systems were a base 1 system -- tallying.

10. May 25, 2004 #9
    I'm surprised about the Romans - not that i didn't know about their system - but that they could do so much and then have a crappy number system. I'm sure they had extensive contact with other civilisations esp. the Hindu one. Does any1 know y they decided to stik to their number?>

11. May 25, 2004 #10
    they mayans had a base 20 number system

12. May 25, 2004 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Conventions die hard. Consider the imperial system of measurements.

- Warren

13. May 25, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Guess the Romans were too busy hacking up people in circuses or having neverending orgies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?