Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange one-word emails

1. Jul 25, 2006 #1
    I just had an influx of emails from different addresses that just have one word in them followed by a period, and the words all begin with the letter "a." So, for example, I received the word "accommodate." from one address and "acclimate." from another. Looks like a virus that's meant to do nothing other than circumvent everyone's bayesian spam filters.

Is there a version of Murphy's Law that incorporates free will? Like, "if it can be broken, someone will always choose to break it."

Anyway, it was pretty unusual, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2006 #2
    You got my emails? Great. B is already on its way.

4. Jul 25, 2006 #3
    Too late! I've already retrained the filter, so I'll never see 'em.

Although, looking at "accommodate" helped my spelling.

5. Jul 25, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's about time someone found a productive use for viruses.

My prime suspect is the disgruntled Mirriam Webster employee that was beaten out for the duty of writing the definitions for all the dirty words.

6. Jul 25, 2006 #5
    Mattara v1.2.1 automatic correction of the use of computing/technology related words.....

Initializing search....

Mails can only contain viruses if it has an attached file or if they hacked/cracked your online email service. The correct term is usually "Spam", "email spam" and so on.

:uhh: :rofl:

7. Jul 25, 2006 #6
    It's Merriam-Webster.

8. Jul 25, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AHA! So it was YOU!!!! You're the disgruntled employee who wrote the virus/worm/spam/whatever!
    Clever plan to catch the culprit, Bob!:wink:

9. Jul 25, 2006 #8
    It is technically "Merriam-Webster Online" but who cares :P

10. Jul 26, 2006 #9
    Mattara, I'm not stupid.*

Someone could have written a virus that would tell an email client to send such and such messages to so an so. I seriously doubt I'm being intentionally spammed by this lot of people.

*Honest!

11. Jul 27, 2006 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know. Look at the clues:

1) Rach3 knows how to spell Merriam-Webster.

2) Rach3 had to request a shorter user name because he was too lazy to type in his entire name every time he logged on.

This is clearly Rach3 spamming you with his version of "War and Peace".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?