Unusual One-Word Emails: Have You Seen It?

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: Rach3 knows how to spell Merriam-Webster.2) Rach3 had to request a shorter user name because he was too lazy to type in his entire name every time he logged on.3) The content of the emails is about books, which is something that Rach3 is interested in.In summary, Rach3 is probably the disgruntled Mirriam Webster employee who wrote the virus/worm/spam/whatever. He is spamming you with his version of "War and Peace".
Mickey
I just had an influx of emails from different addresses that just have one word in them followed by a period, and the words all begin with the letter "a." So, for example, I received the word "accommodate." from one address and "acclimate." from another. Looks like a virus that's meant to do nothing other than circumvent everyone's bayesian spam filters.

Is there a version of Murphy's Law that incorporates free will? Like, "if it can be broken, someone will always choose to break it."

Anyway, it was pretty unusual, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got my emails? Great. B is already on its way.

Likes gracy
Too late! I've already retrained the filter, so I'll never see 'em.

Although, looking at "accommodate" helped my spelling.

Mickey said:
Too late! I've already retrained the filter, so I'll never see 'em.

Although, looking at "accommodate" helped my spelling.
It's about time someone found a productive use for viruses.

My prime suspect is the disgruntled Mirriam Webster employee that was beaten out for the duty of writing the definitions for all the dirty words.

Mickey said:
I just had an influx of emails from different addresses that just have one word in them followed by a period, and the words all begin with the letter "a." So, for example, I received the word "accommodate." from one address and "acclimate." from another. Looks like a virus that's meant to do nothing other than circumvent everyone's bayesian spam filters.

Is there a version of Murphy's Law that incorporates free will? Like, "if it can be broken, someone will always choose to break it."

Anyway, it was pretty unusual, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Mattara v1.2.1 automatic correction of the use of computing/technology related words...

Initializing search...

Mails can only contain viruses if it has an attached file or if they hacked/cracked your online email service. The correct term is usually "Spam", "email spam" and so on.

:uhh: :rofl:

BobG said:
My prime suspect is the disgruntled Mirriam Webster employee that was beaten out for the duty of writing the definitions for all the dirty words.

It's Merriam-Webster.

Rach3 said:
It's Merriam-Webster.
AHA! So it was YOU! You're the disgruntled employee who wrote the virus/worm/spam/whatever!
Clever plan to catch the culprit, Bob!:wink:

Rach3 said:
It's Merriam-Webster.

It is technically "Merriam-Webster Online" but who cares :P

Mattara, I'm not stupid.*

Someone could have written a virus that would tell an email client to send such and such messages to so an so. I seriously doubt I'm being intentionally spammed by this lot of people.

*Honest!

Mickey said:
Mattara, I'm not stupid.*

Someone could have written a virus that would tell an email client to send such and such messages to so an so. I seriously doubt I'm being intentionally spammed by this lot of people.

*Honest!
I don't know. Look at the clues:

1) Rach3 knows how to spell Merriam-Webster.

2) Rach3 had to request a shorter user name because he was too lazy to type in his entire name every time he logged on.

This is clearly Rach3 spamming you with his version of "War and Peace".

What is the purpose of "Unusual One-Word Emails: Have You Seen It?"

The purpose of "Unusual One-Word Emails: Have You Seen It?" is to investigate the phenomenon of receiving strange and cryptic one-word emails and to determine their origins and potential meanings.

What types of one-word emails fall under this investigation?

This investigation focuses on one-word emails that are unusual or seem out of context, such as those with random words, symbols, or numbers. It also includes emails that are in a language that the recipient does not understand.

Why is it important to study these unusual one-word emails?

Studying these unusual one-word emails can provide insight into potential security threats, identify new forms of spam or phishing attempts, and shed light on online communication patterns and behaviors.

What methods are used to analyze these one-word emails?

Various methods can be used to analyze these one-word emails, including linguistic analysis, code breaking, and data mining. Additionally, metadata and IP tracking may be used to track the source of the emails.

What are some potential explanations for these unusual one-word emails?

There are several potential explanations for these unusual one-word emails, including spam or phishing attempts, random messages from bots or automated systems, or communication attempts by individuals with malicious intent. It is also possible that some of these emails may be part of a larger puzzle or game. Further research and analysis are necessary to determine the true origins and meanings behind these emails.