What are some of the strange phases you went through in your youth?

In summary: At the beginning of high-school, I entered the metal phase. In the middle of high-school there was a punk phase. At the end, there was a metal phase, again. And then there was another punk phase. And oh, I almost forgot, there was this techno phase or whatever, somewhere in the middle.I'm really happy now, being myself.In summary, David Bowie was a prolific artist who never ceased to reinvent himself. He was a musician, actor, and poet who explored a variety of genres throughout his career. He had a diverse range of interests as a child, which helped him avoid getting sucked into any specific phase. He is now in his late 60s and still exploring new ways to be
Surrealist
I've been listening to a lot of David Bowie lately. Particularly stuff from his early 80s "Man Who Fell to Earth" phase. Looking back at the diversity of his discography over the years, you can't help but notice that he never ceases to reinvent himself. You get the feeling that he becomes interested in a certain genre or style and finds a way to make it his own.

I am reminded of my own life and the tapestry of phases I went through... the obsessive-compulsive phase, the grunge phase, the goth phase, the Buddhist phase, the art phase, the work-aholic phase, and the phase of uncertainty that I find myself in now.

Please post a description of some of the strange phases you might have gone through in your younger years. Maybe you did some crazy **** that you're not so proud of (like participating in a 70's disco transgendered roller derby or being a staffer for Mark Foley) but maybe that stuff made you who you are today. As Nietsch said... well, you know what he said. Anyway, I'd be glad to read about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
almost forgot...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to say, I'm about 15 years behind the times and am still in the grunge phase.

I got hooked up with an ultra-intellectual crowd of science fiction readers that were into underground music and over acheivers in everything scholastic when I was 12. This helped me avoid bad 70's music & Disco. I think the fact that we were all so weird and completely against being "trendy" that I never got sucked into any particular phase of anything even when we all ended up in different parts of the world after high school.

I am stil weird, however.

matthyaouw said:
I've got to say, I'm about 15 years behind the times and am still in the grunge phase.

Ah grunge... those were some good times... kinderwhores in babydoll dresses, striped tights and Doc Marten's maryjanes with their burgundy colored hair... That was when crazy people were considered cool and interesting. These days, anybody who seems like a non-conformist gets put on a ****ing watch list.

I wish I could re-live those days.

Evo said:
I got hooked up with an ultra-intellectual crowd of science fiction readers that were into underground music and over acheivers in everything scholastic when I was 12.

Cool... any chance this crowd was the Phillip K. Dick crowd of Berkeley?

Surrealist said:
Ah grunge... those were some good times... kinderwhores in babydoll dresses, striped tights and Doc Marten's maryjanes with their burgundy colored hair... That was when crazy people were considered cool and interesting. These days, anybody who seems like a non-conformist gets put on a ****ing watch list.

I wish I could re-live those days.

My age was still in single figures back in those days so I missed out on all that :(

Evo said:
I think the fact that we were all so weird and completely against being "trendy" that I never got sucked into any particular phase of anything

..except into this one. :tongue:

At the beginning of high-school, I entered the metal phase. In the middle of high-school there was a punk phase. At the end, there was a metal phase, again. And then there was another punk phase. And oh, I almost forgot, there was this techno phase or whatever, somewhere in the middle.

I'm really happy now, being myself.

Surrealist said:
Cool... any chance this crowd was the Phillip K. Dick crowd of Berkeley?
No. We lived in Houston in an eccentric neighborhood where anything from collections of antique Rolls Royce's built for Maharajas to moats and 12' high stone fences around homes seemed natural. We often joked about something being rather unnatural about our neighborhood. :tongue:

1. What are "Strange Phases of Our Youth"?

"Strange Phases of Our Youth" refers to the various stages and experiences that individuals go through during their teenage years and early adulthood. These phases can include physical, emotional, and psychological changes, as well as exploring new identities and navigating social relationships.

2. Why do we go through strange phases during our youth?

During our youth, our brains and bodies are still developing and maturing. This can lead to hormonal changes and shifts in behavior and thinking. Additionally, as we start to form our own identities and become more independent, we may experiment with different beliefs, lifestyles, and social groups.

3. Are strange phases of our youth normal?

Yes, experiencing strange phases during our youth is a normal and natural part of growing up. It is a time of self-discovery and exploration, and these phases can help shape our personalities and values as we enter adulthood.

4. Can strange phases of our youth have long-term effects?

While some phases may just be temporary and part of the growing process, others may have long-term effects on our personalities and behaviors. It is important to seek support and guidance during these phases to ensure they have a positive impact on our lives.

5. How can we cope with the strange phases of our youth?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for coping with strange phases of our youth. However, some strategies that may help include seeking support from trusted adults, practicing self-care and self-reflection, and finding healthy outlets for expressing emotions. It is also important to remember that these phases are temporary and to have patience and compassion for ourselves as we navigate through them.