Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Phases of Our Youth

1. May 28, 2007 #1
    I've been listening to a lot of David Bowie lately. Particularly stuff from his early 80s "Man Who Fell to Earth" phase. Looking back at the diversity of his discography over the years, you can't help but notice that he never ceases to reinvent himself. You get the feeling that he becomes interested in a certain genre or style and finds a way to make it his own.

I am reminded of my own life and the tapestry of phases I went through... the obsessive-compulsive phase, the grunge phase, the goth phase, the Buddhist phase, the art phase, the work-aholic phase, and the phase of uncertainty that I find myself in now.

Please post a description of some of the strange phases you might have gone through in your younger years. Maybe you did some crazy **** that you're not so proud of (like participating in a 70's disco transgendered roller derby or being a staffer for Mark Foley) but maybe that stuff made you who you are today. As Nietsch said... well, you know what he said. Anyway, I'd be glad to read about it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2007 #2
    almost forgot...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. May 28, 2007 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've got to say, I'm about 15 years behind the times and am still in the grunge phase.

5. May 28, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I got hooked up with an ultra-intellectual crowd of science fiction readers that were into underground music and over acheivers in everything scholastic when I was 12. This helped me avoid bad 70's music & Disco. I think the fact that we were all so weird and completely against being "trendy" that I never got sucked into any particular phase of anything even when we all ended up in different parts of the world after high school.

I am stil weird, however.

6. May 28, 2007 #5
    Ah grunge... those were some good times... kinderwhores in babydoll dresses, striped tights and Doc Marten's maryjanes with their burgundy colored hair.... That was when crazy people were considered cool and interesting. These days, anybody who seems like a non-conformist gets put on a ****ing watch list.

I wish I could re-live those days.

7. May 28, 2007 #6
    Cool... any chance this crowd was the Phillip K. Dick crowd of Berkeley?

8. May 28, 2007 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

My age was still in single figures back in those days so I missed out on all that :(

9. May 28, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

..except into this one. :tongue:

At the beginning of high-school, I entered the metal phase. In the middle of high-school there was a punk phase. At the end, there was a metal phase, again. And then there was another punk phase. And oh, I almost forgot, there was this techno phase or whatever, somewhere in the middle.

I'm really happy now, being myself.

10. May 28, 2007 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No. We lived in Houston in an eccentric neighborhood where anything from collections of antique Rolls Royce's built for Maharajas to moats and 12' high stone fences around homes seemed natural. We often joked about something being rather unnatural about our neighborhood. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?