Strange phobias

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

  • #2
NewScientist
171
0
Yep they can
 
  • #3
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
How could anyone go through life afraid of money?
 
  • #4
hypatia
1,189
9
They find ways of coping, get others to do there banking/shopping. Famlies and friends enable phobics a great deal, there is a lot of help/treatment out there.
I do know of a lady who can not be left alone, she just panics and does outrageous things. The family goes to great lenths to make sure some one is there at all times.
 
  • #5
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
That's a funny aspect of some anxiety disorders - it doesn't matter how absurd the feared object or situation is or how disproportionate their response; The person often feels like they have no control over it.
Specific phobia (SP) is characterized by extreme fear of specific objects or situations that present little or no threat in reality. A summary of the diagnostic criteria for SP, based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, includes the following:

* Criterion A: The patient has persistent or irrational fear that is unreasonable or excessive and is triggered by the presence or anticipation of a specific object or situation

* Criterion B: Exposure to the above noted event or object almost always results in an immediate anxiety response

* Criterion C: The person acknowledges this response to be unreasonable or excessive

* Criterion D: The person either avoids such situations or objects or else experiences exposure with intensive anxiety or distress

* Criterion E: The avoidance or distressful response significantly interferes with a person's daily functioning

* Criterion F: Duration is at least 6 months for individuals younger than 18 years

* Criterion G: The anxiety, distressful response, or avoidance is not accounted for by other mental disorders (see Differentials).

Adults with SP acknowledge that their fear is excessive or unreasonable, but children may not.
- http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2659.htm
If anyone around here thinks I'm a pretty rational, stable person, you might be surprised to see the list that I'm working on of my obsessions and compulsions. It's nowhere near finished, but gives you an idea of how different a person can be from their disorder. Looking at the list myself, I'm rather amazed that I manage to function at all. The list has a specific purpose and isn't meant to be shown to just anyone, so if you do read it and don't understand what I'm talking about, you can see this.
 

Attachments

  • OCD list.doc
    88 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #6
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
I have a fear of touching cotton wool, it makes me cringe just thinking about
it, but i didn't see that in the list, am i unique ?
 
  • #7
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
wolram said:
I have a fear of touching cotton wool, it makes me cringe just thinking about
it, but i didn't see that in the list, am i unique ?
Apparently not, but there's help available!
This hypnotic cassette or compact disc is suitable for all fears and all phobias such as: heights, death, flying, spiders, birds, failure, mice, dentists and pretty much anything you can think of including cotton wool!
- http://www.tosleep.co.uk/fearsphobias.htm [Broken]

Don't worry, you're still very peculiar in my book. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #8
primal schemer
54
0
Do they really need to have atomosophobia down there, surely everyone is afraid of atomic explosions.

Also, you got to love bogyphobia - fear of the bogeyman.

PS
 
  • #9
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
Apparently not, but there's help available!


Don't worry, you're still very peculiar in my book. :biggrin:

But how can anyone be afraid of some thing as harmless and stupid?

And i :!) you to WB :tongue:
 
  • #10
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
primal schemer said:
Do they really need to have atomosophobia down there, surely everyone is afraid of atomic explosions.

Also, you got to love bogyphobia - fear of the bogeyman.

PS

The bogeyman is the one my folks used to try and scare us with when we
were kids, but it just made us worse :biggrin:
 
  • #11
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
Amnesia, amnesiophobia.

This one is paradoxical.
 
  • #12
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
England, English - Anglophobia
Well, that's understandable.
everything - panophobia
Hey, maybe this is what I have! :rofl: No, wait, I'm not afraid of cotton wool.
Greek (or complex scientific) terms - Hellenologophobia
figure 8 - octophobia
flavours - geumophobia

Okay, these are a bit odd, even for me.
And the worst phobia to have...
fear - phobophobia
 
Last edited:
  • #13
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
That's a funny aspect of some anxiety disorders - it doesn't matter how absurd the feared object or situation is or how disproportionate their response; The person often feels like they have no control over it.
If anyone around here thinks I'm a pretty rational, stable person, you might be surprised to see the list that I'm working on of my obsessions and compulsions. It's nowhere near finished, but gives you an idea of how different a person can be from their disorder. Looking at the list myself, I'm rather amazed that I manage to function at all. The list has a specific purpose and isn't meant to be shown to just anyone, so if you do read it and don't understand what I'm talking about, you can see this.

Rose when did all this start ?
 
  • #14
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
wolram said:
Rose when did all this start ?
Early summer when I was 17, a little over 5 years ago. It wasn't always as bad as it is now - I used to be able to go outside and such - I managed to keep jobs and everything.
But anyway, would you have guessed that there was something seriously wrong with me if I hadn't told you? Most people wait years before seeking treatment and manage to hide it quite well if they try.
 
Last edited:
  • #15
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
England, English - Anglophobia
Well, that's understandable. ]

you wouldn't be afeared of old wolram rose, you wouldn't have time :rofl:
 
  • #16
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
Early summer when I was 17, a little over 5 years ago. It wasn't always as bad as it is now - I used to be able to go outside and such - I managed to keep jobs and everything.

I think some thing bad hapend when you were 17 ?
 
  • #17
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
wolram said:
you wouldn't be afeared of old wolram rose, you wouldn't have time :rofl:
Ha, I'm always on the lookout for woolierams. :bugeye:
 
  • #18
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
wolram said:
I think some thing bad hapend when you were 17 ?
Nope. Well, there is something that I think is connected, but it wasn't a bad experience - just realizing that I needed to be responsible for my own safety and success. It was phrased more like saving myself from the fates that I most feared, but these were things like never achieving some of my important goals and such; They weren't fears of snakes or anything like that. Oddly enough, I just noticed this connection last week!
Just before I had my first episode, I had been having the same dream every night for about a month or so: I was in immediate danger and running from something or someone - and that's what my earliest obsessions were about.
 
  • #19
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
Ha, I'm always on the lookout for woolierams. :bugeye:

I have heard they can give one a wicked butt, though most of the time they
are well behaved.
 
  • #20
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
Nope. Well, there is something that I think is connected, but it wasn't a bad experience - just realizing that I needed to be responsible for my own safety and success. It was phrased more like saving myself from the fates that I most feared, but these were things like never achieving some of my important goals and such; They weren't fears of snakes or anything like that. Oddly enough, I just noticed this connection last week!
Just before I had my first episode, I had been having the same dream every night for about a month or so: I was in immediate danger and running from something or someone - and that's what my earliest obsessions were about.
Your running from the possibility of failure, and you have set your goals so
high that you may?
It seems to me that you are unknowingly punishing yourself, but i am no
authority.
 
  • #21
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,136
5
wolram said:
Your running from the possibility of failure, and you have set your goals so
high that you may?
It seems to me that you are unknowingly punishing yourself, but i am no
authority.
:rofl: You're half right- I know that I'm punishing myself. :wink: I aim to be the best possible and perform perfectly, but that's not always unrealistic; There are some things that I should be able to do perfectly or very near perfectly. But I don't think that explains my symptoms. It seems more likely that I have a biological predisposition or sensitivity and my deep sense of personal responsibility and perfectionism just triggered and feeds it. Of course, I could be wrong... anywho, I don't want to bore everyone with my problems, as fascinating as they are to me. :smile:
 
  • #22
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,185
5
Honestrosewater, quite a few things on that list remind me of when I was a child, and a couple still effect me now. At least I know I'm not the only one:D
 
  • #23
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
honestrosewater said:
If anyone around here thinks I'm a pretty rational, stable person
You *are* a rational, stable person, you are just dealing with a chemical imbalance. Did you mention before if you are taking any medication to correct it?

Hang in there.
 
  • #24
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
honestrosewater said:
:rofl: You're half right- I know that I'm punishing myself. :wink: I aim to be the best possible and perform perfectly, but that's not always unrealistic; There are some things that I should be able to do perfectly or very near perfectly. But I don't think that explains my symptoms. It seems more likely that I have a biological predisposition or sensitivity and my deep sense of personal responsibility and perfectionism just triggered and feeds it. Of course, I could be wrong... anywho, I don't want to bore everyone with my problems, as fascinating as they are to me. :smile:

You can not judge your self Rose, you are not qualifed, and perfection is
an illusion, what seems perfect to me, others may view as a bag of old nails,
and you isn't boring. :biggrin:
 
  • #25
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
matthyaouw said:
Honestrosewater, quite a few things on that list remind me of when I was a child, and a couple still effect me now. At least I know I'm not the only one:D
If you want to explain may be it would help me understand why i am afraid of
cotton wool.
 
  • #26
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,185
5
I can sympathise- the feeling given by squeezing cotton wool makes me cringe at times. Its almost as bad as the noise and feeling of polystyrene.

I may come back to this thread and explain in more detail in a few days, as I'm off away tomorrow morning.
 
  • #27
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
wolram said:
If you want to explain may be it would help me understand why i am afraid of
cotton wool.
I would be afraid of anything that was a cross between a sheep and a plant!

What the heck is cotton wool? Cotton comes from a plant, wool comes from a sheep.
 
  • #28
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
cottonballs! Why don't you silly english just say so. :tongue:

edit: now that you deleted your post, it looks like I'm talking to myself. :grumpy:

edit to edit: now it looks like I saw into the future. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
  • #29
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,185
5
http://shrc.net/Merchant2/graphics/prodpics/10534.jpg [Broken]

^ the stuff those are made from.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #30
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,185
5
Evo said:
cottonballs! Why don't you silly english just say so. :tongue:

edit: now that you deleted your post, it looks like I'm talking to myself. :grumpy:

I looked at the pic a bit closer, and they seemed to be made of gauze type material, so I thought I'd best change it
(looked again- half were cotton balls. half were gauze stuff. Right the first time :grumpy: ).

Anyway, what's it called when it's not in ball form? If it were just called cotton, people would assume thread/fabric type stuff. Silly Americans :P
 
  • #31
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
Evo said:
cottonballs! Why don't you silly english just say so. :tongue:

edit: now that you deleted your post, it looks like I'm talking to myself. :grumpy:

edit to edit: now it looks like I saw into the future. :biggrin:
Well what ever you natives of the Americas have transmogrified cotton wool
into :rofl: It is the one thing i dread, the thought of touching that stuff,
sugar, i can not write any more about it.
 
  • #32
Evo
Mentor
23,924
3,261
wolram said:
Well what ever you natives of the Americas have transmogrified cotton wool
into :rofl: It is the one thing i dread, the thought of touching that stuff,
sugar, i can not write any more about it.
100% cotton is ok, it's that nasty polyester they make FAKE cotton balls out of that feels nasty.
 
  • #33
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
4,397
559
Evo said:
100% cotton is ok, it's that nasty polyester they make FAKE cotton balls out of that feels nasty.

Ohhh, those rotten fakers, if only they knew what suffering they caused :grumpy: nasty is not the word i would use, i would rather be zapped with
a cattle prod than touch that stuff, why i do not know, it is totaly illogical.
 
  • #34
TheStatutoryApe
260
4
Wow Rose... I actually have similar things happen to me. It's not very intense and it doesn't happen very often but I get those same sorts of ideas in my head.

I have a wee fear of heights. I was still able to jump out of an airplane though.

My one phobia that actually has a real effect on me is my claustrophobia. I have very little conscious control over it. There have been multiple times where I was having a reaction but didn't even realize it until I was about to pass out. What tends to happen is my breathing becomes really shallow. If I don't realize what's happening I get light headed from it and come close to passing out. I never have actually passed out though. Also it tends to really only been when there are people around. Small areas in and of themselves don't effect me much but crowds of people or someone standing really close to me blocking me into a small area really bother me. When I was a kid I hated going to Disneyland.
 
  • #35
Mk
2,037
4
I have a fear of being within 100 miles of a nuclear explosion. Am I strange?
 

Suggested for: Strange phobias

  • Last Post
Replies
23
Views
511
  • Last Post
2
Replies
46
Views
1K
Replies
6
Views
425
Replies
1
Views
380
Replies
11
Views
763
  • Last Post
2
Replies
41
Views
4K
Replies
1
Views
797
  • Last Post
Replies
26
Views
719
  • Last Post
3
Replies
71
Views
4K
Top