Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange plane behavior

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    Don't know if this is the right place for such a question...

I plotted these graphs based on data taken from the black box of a plane:

I can't fully understand these data: looks like while the plane was falling down, it was also slowing down. Is this interpreataion correct? How could it be explained?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The plane seems to have entered a tail spin, which would slow down its speed dramatically.
  4. Aug 9, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

How do you get a tail spin from that? I would like to see some yaw port data before jumping there.

You are looking at groundspeed, not airspeed. With a huge roll rate and pitch down it's possible that this thing is falling at a very steep rate which is shown on the altitude plot. Do you have any data on airspeed?
  5. Aug 9, 2007 #4
    Sorry, my mistake, I plotted GROUND speed rather than AIR speed, so I guess it's correct, being the plane going down very fast.

Here you find full FDR data, you wanna play with them. ;-)
  6. Aug 9, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

It just looks to me like the plane was in a mild dive, then rolled over and pitched down more steeply. Ground speed slowed because of the angle of the dive - airspeed probably went up, though not necessarily.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?