1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange problem.

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    Can someone tell me how to do this problem? I Don't even know where to begin.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2
  4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    Begin with F=m*a.
    You should use that, and the fact that the resultant of that force and of m*g is along the normal to the surface in the equilibrium position.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  5. Oct 6, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Consider a simpler problem first: The ball on block with a constant incline. Assume the block is accelerated towards the +x direction and that the ball is not moving vertically on the block.

The ball will experience two forces: Its weight and a normal force coming from the incline [itex]W,\ N[/itex] . Assume the incline is at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] w.r.t. the horizontal. What can you say that the acceleration will be given by in such a situation?

6. Oct 7, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Can you set up the force equations in the x- and y-directions using Newton's second law?

That is: "The sum of the force components on an object in the x (or y) direction is equal to its mass times its acceleration in the x (or y) direction"

7. Oct 10, 2006 #6
    Thanks for the help guys. I still couldn't get it, though. I'll give it another crack soon for test preparation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?