Strange product of integrals

In summary, the given problem involves computing a quantity involving integrals of a statistical quantity with its complex conjugate and using the relation that the ensemble average of their product is equal to a constant times the delta function of their difference. After realizing the mistake in the given problem, the solution becomes straightforward by replacing the product of the functions with a delta function.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

I'm trying to compute something of the form [tex]\langle \int_a^b{f(x) dx} \int_a^b{f(x)^{\dagger}dx} \rangle [/tex] where the dagger means complex conjugate and the brackets are ensemble average (f(x) is a statistical quantity). I'm supposed to use the relation that [tex] \langle f(x) f(x')^{\dagger} \rangle = c*\delta(f-f')[/tex] where c is some constant.

Homework Equations

[tex] \langle f(x) f(x')^{\dagger} \rangle = c*\delta(f-f')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit perplexed. I have the function and its complex conjugate, but inside different integrals, which are being multiplied. And the ensemble average of a product isn't the same as the product of ensemble averages, either... is it? I'd be surprised.

I thought maybe I could multiply the entire quantity by an extra f dagger, then somehow use the relation, but it didn't really get me anywhere.

So I have no idea how to use the given relation. Can anyone help??

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar_4 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to compute something of the form [tex]\langle \int_a^b{f(x) dx} \int_a^b{f(x)^{\dagger}dx} \rangle [/tex] where the dagger means complex conjugate and the brackets are ensemble average (f(x) is a statistical quantity).
Are you sure that the x appearing in the second integral should not all have a prime on them?

I'm supposed to use the relation that [tex] \langle f(x) f(x')^{\dagger} \rangle = c*\delta(f-f')[/tex] where c is some constant.
Are you sure that it is not [itex] \delta(x-x')[/itex] ??

Check these two things and let us know. If I am correct about the two corrections, the problem becomes very easy.

Oops, you're right. I've been working with functions of frequency and forgot. So yes, should be f(x) and f(x'), and the delta function should then be delta(x-x').

quasar_4 said:
Oops, you're right. I've been working with functions of frequency and forgot. So yes, should be f(x) and f(x'), and the delta function should then be delta(x-x').

Great. Then are you all set? Replacing the product of the functions by a delta function makes the two integrations trivial.

I understand your confusion and I can assure you that this is a common issue in statistical calculations. It seems like you are trying to compute the ensemble average of a product of integrals, which can be quite tricky. However, there are a few ways to approach this problem.

One approach is to use the properties of the delta function, which can be thought of as a generalized function that is zero everywhere except at one point where it is infinite. In this case, the delta function allows us to replace the complex conjugate in the second integral with the original function, but evaluated at a different point. This can simplify the calculation and allow you to use the given relation.

Another approach is to use the properties of ensemble averages. While it is true that the ensemble average of a product is not necessarily equal to the product of ensemble averages, there are certain cases where this holds true. For example, if the two functions are independent of each other, then the product of ensemble averages will be equal to the ensemble average of the product. This may be a useful property to consider in your calculation.

Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specific details of your problem. I would recommend consulting with your professor or a colleague for further guidance and clarification. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is a "Strange product of integrals"?

A "Strange product of integrals" refers to a mathematical expression that is formed by multiplying two or more integrals together. It can also be referred to as a multiple integral or an iterated integral.

2. What is the purpose of using a "Strange product of integrals"?

The purpose of using a "Strange product of integrals" is to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved using a single integral. By breaking down the problem into smaller parts, it becomes easier to solve using multiple integrals.

3. How is a "Strange product of integrals" different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves calculating the area under a curve using a single integration. On the other hand, a "Strange product of integrals" involves multiplying two or more integrals together, making it a more complex mathematical expression.

4. Can a "Strange product of integrals" be simplified?

Yes, a "Strange product of integrals" can be simplified by using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. However, it is important to note that not all "Strange products of integrals" can be simplified.

5. In what fields of science or mathematics are "Strange products of integrals" commonly used?

"Strange products of integrals" are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where complex mathematical problems need to be solved. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and multivariable calculus.