1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange question

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Einstein's theory of general relativity is relativistic model of gravity. "Relativistic" means it involves the speed of light, c; "gravity" means it involves Newton's constant, G. Use dimensional analysis to derive a formula for the surface area, A, of a black hole of mass M, up to a dimensionless proportionality constant.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I have little idea of how to tackle this question. Any sort of help would be appreciable.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    Can anyone be of help?

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Bumping up again.

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    werg lol phys 121 assignment 1 question 3 lol... hahaha waterloo university right?

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    I couldn't do the last Problem... What did u get for (a) and (b)

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    As far as I can tell, the idea is to propose something along the lines of:

A= k*c^x*G^y*M^z

Where k is a dimensionless constant.

Then figure out what the exponents x,y and z must be so that the right hand has units of area (length^2). You should come up with a system of equations with only one solution.

8. Sep 24, 2007 #7
    I ended by figuring it out, thanks Proggle anyway. The question is kind of obscure and the solution isn't very intuitive.

Yes Karma I go to the University of Waterloo, I figured the same with you by your car race question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?