1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange relation

1. May 31, 2008 #1
    [tex]\sum\ (m^2+n^2) = 2\pi\int^{\infty}_{1} (\frac{1}{r^2} r dr) [/tex]

The sum goes over [tex]\mathbb{N}\times \mathbb{N}[/tex]

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2008 #2
    Wait, that is what I mean.

[tex]\sum\ (m^2+n^2)^{-1} \sim 2 \pi\int^{\infty}_{1} (\frac{1}{r^2} r dr) [/tex]

The sum goes over [tex]\mathbb{N}\times \mathbb{N}[/tex]

I can make no sense of it.

Edit: Now everything fixed.

4. May 31, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sum (m^2+n^2) clearly diverges. You must mean 1/(m^2+n^2). Then it's just an integral estimate. And it still diverges.

5. May 31, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And the right side makes no sense. In [itex]2\pi\int^{\infty}_{1} (\frac{1}{r^2} r dr) [/itex], "r" is clearly intended to be a vector (otherwise it reduces to [itex]\int 1/r dr= ln(r)[/itex]) in which case integrating from 1 to infinity doesn't make sense. My guess is that the right side is supposed to be integrated over all of R2.

6. May 31, 2008 #5
    Right, that's what I meant. I'm still fighting with latex.

What you mean by 'just an integral estimate'. Why are both expressions [tex]\sim[/tex]?

And, yes my book says too, it diverges.

7. May 31, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Icosahedron! :smile:

Looks like you're supposed to integrate something over x and y from 1 to ∞ which has poles "of integral 1/r²" whenever x and y are both whole numbers, and then convert to polar coordinates. :smile:

8. May 31, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The right side is the integral of 1/(x^2+y^2) over the plane (excluding some stuff near zero) in polar coordinates. It should be a reasonable estimate for the integer sum (also excluding (0,0), I hope). Just like the integral test for infinite series.

9. Jun 1, 2008 #8
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?