Strange result from Bianchi identity, me spot the error

In summary: The operation you are doing here does not look correct. You can't contract the same index twice, but that is what you are doing by introducing the factor ##g_{ac}## on both sides. The ##a## and ##c## indexes are already contracted; they're not free. The only free index in the equation is ##b##, so that's the only one available to contract anything...
gastkram
I have accidentally derived a very wrong result from the contracted Bianchi identity and I can't see where the error is. I'm sure it's something obvious, but I need someone to point it out to me as I've gone blind. Thanks!

Start with the contracted Bianchi identity,
$$
\nabla_a \left( R^{ab}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab} R\right)=0.
$$
Now rewrite with the metric so that we get the same factor R in both terms,
$$
\nabla_a \left( g^{ac}g^{bd}R_{cd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} R_{cd}\right)=0,
$$
then factorize;
$$
\nabla_a \left( \left(g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} \right)R_{cd}\right)=0.
$$
Now apply the product rule
$$
\nabla_a \left( g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} \right) R_{cd} + \left(g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} \right) \nabla_a R_{cd}=0.
$$
By metric compatibility the first term is zero, so we conclude that ##g^{ac}g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2} g^{ab}g^{cd}##
or the covariant derivative of the Ricci tensor is zero in general. The first option means that the metric is just zero and so makes the identity we started with trivial. The second option is just wrong.

What went wrong? I'm going nuts.

Physics news on Phys.org
gastkram said:
By metric compatibility the first term is zero, so we conclude that ##g^{ac}g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2} g^{ab}g^{cd}##
or the covariant derivative of the Ricci tensor is zero in general. The first option means that the metric is just zero and so makes the identity we started with trivial. The second option is just wrong.

Hmm, your working up to here looks right to me at least but I think ##g^{ac} g^{bd} - \frac{1}{2} g^{ab} g^{cd} = 0## does not imply that the metric is zero, i.e. the indices don't match?

etotheipi said:
Hmm, your working up to here looks right but I think ##g^{ac} g^{bd} - \frac{1}{2} g^{ab} g^{cd} = 0## does not imply that the metric is zero, i.e. the indices don't match?
Thank you for your help!

I mean that it is zero because we get
$$
g_{ac}g^{ac}g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{ac}g^{cd} \implies \delta_a^a g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2}g^{b}_{\phantom{b}c}g^{cd}\implies D g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2}g^{bd},
$$
but the dimension is not usually one half :oops:.

Maybe the problem is that the entire sum is zero,$$\left(g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} \right) \nabla_a R_{cd}=0$$and you can't pull out the coefficients and set each to zero separately, ##g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} = 0##, because they're included in the summation [and three of the indices are dummy indices]? It's to say that each individual term in the sum is not necessarily zero.

etotheipi said:
Maybe the problem is that the entire sum is zero,$$\left(g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} \right) \nabla_a R_{cd}=0$$and you can't pull out the coefficients ##g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} = 0## and set each to zero separately, because it's included in the summation [and three of the indices are dummy indices]?

Oh, that may be it. Let me think about that for a minute.

Last edited:
etotheipi said:
Maybe the problem is that the entire sum is zero,$$\left(g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} \right) \nabla_a R_{cd}=0$$and you can't pull out the coefficients and set each to zero separately, ##g^{ac}g^{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g^{cd} = 0##, because they're included in the summation [and three of the indices are dummy indices]? It's to say that each individual term in the sum is not necessarily zero.

Yes, I guess I claimed that every coefficient has to be zero but that's not true. Mystery solved (I hope)! Thanks!

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
Yeah, that seems right! :smile:

Likes vanhees71
etotheipi said:
Yeah, that seems right! :smile:

Well, I was right that I had done something obviously wrong :wink:

Likes vanhees71
haha, well contracted indices also sometimes make me feel like a ... dummy. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Infrared
gastkram said:
Thank you for your help!

$$
g_{ac}g^{ac}g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ab}g_{ac}g^{cd} \implies \delta_a^a g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2}g^{b}_{\phantom{b}c}g^{cd}\implies D g^{bd}=\frac{1}{2}g^{bd},
$$

The operation you are doing here does not look correct. You can't contract the same index twice, but that is what you are doing by introducing the factor ##g_{ac}## on both sides. The ##a## and ##c## indexes are already contracted; they're not free. The only free index in the equation is ##b##, so that's the only one available to contract anything with.

@PeterDonis I think that was just following from considering ##g^{ac} g^{bd} = \frac{1}{2} g^{ab} g^{cd}## as an equation in four free indices, which we eventually clocked in #4 that you can't do.

etotheipi said:
I think that was just following from considering ##g^{ac} g^{bd} = \frac{1}{2} g^{ab} g^{cd}## as an equation in four free indices, which we eventually clocked in #4 that you can't do.

Yes, agreed. The "four free indices" part is the issue--only one of those indices, ##b##, is actually free. The others, as you point out in #4, are dummy summation indices--or, as I put it, they are already contracted, so you can't contract them again.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
gastkram said:
Thank you for your help!

$$
$$
I don't understand your manipulations. On the left-hand side you simply have ##g_{ac} g^{ac}=\delta_a^a=4##, i.e.,
$$g_{ac} g^{ac} g^{b d}=4 g^{b d}.$$
On the right-hand side you get
$$\frac{1}{2} g^{ab} g_{ac} g^{cd}=\frac{1}{2} \delta_c^b g^{cd}=\frac{1}{2} g^{bd}.$$
So why do you think both sides were equal?

vanhees71 said:
On the left-hand side you simply have ##g_{ac} g^{ac}=\delta_a^a=4##

And, as already noted, this is already wrong, since both the ##a## and ##c## indexes on ##g^{ac}## were already contracted, so you can't contract them again with ##g_{ac}##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Bianchi identity and why is it important in scientific research?

The Bianchi identity is a mathematical equation that relates the curvature of a space to its energy-momentum content. It is important in scientific research because it is a fundamental tool in general relativity and helps us understand the behavior of space and time.

2. What are some possible causes of a strange result from the Bianchi identity?

There could be a mistake in the calculations or input data, an incorrect assumption or simplification, or a violation of the underlying principles of general relativity.

3. How can I spot errors in my application of the Bianchi identity?

One way to spot errors is to check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. You can also compare your results to known solutions or use other mathematical tools to verify your findings.

4. What steps can I take to avoid errors when using the Bianchi identity?

Double-checking your work, using multiple methods of verification, and seeking feedback from colleagues are all good ways to avoid errors. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and assumptions of the Bianchi identity.

5. How can I use the Bianchi identity to further my scientific research?

The Bianchi identity can be applied in various fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational physics to study the behavior of space and time. By using this identity, scientists can make predictions and test theories about the universe and its evolution.