Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange school

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    The students went to their school in east of Jerusalem after summer holiday. They found eight meter height concrete wall divided their school into two parts: this means they need visa and to travell several kilometers (after completing the wall) to move from one part of the school to the other part!!

The goal of this wall which divided schools , universities ,families, farms and even houses is to keep as many as possible Palestinian population inside the wall and to get as much as possible lands by keeping them out of the wall so they can expand the Jews settlements.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2
    WOW! I'm sorry but I just can't see why anyone would actually think this is OK. Bilal, can you explain to me more specifically why this was done to a school instead of simply leaving it alone and putting the wall on one side of it? I would think that all the students would be from "the same side" and let it be like that. Or, are they doing this as a form of harassment to maybe provoke the community? I'd also like to hear your views on why the Jewish and Palestinians really can't get along.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    Hi Echo 6 Sierra,

This wall divides East Jerusalem (Palestinian part of the city - 20% christians and 80% muslims) into two parts: 200000 are living in the western part of the wall and 56000 are living on the eastern part. They expect to force ten thousands of people to leave the country after they lose their business and their schools.

Israel was established by Zionists to be ''Jews homeland''. The problem now that half of people of historical Palestine (Israel, West Bank and Gaza) are non Jews , so they need to reduce the percentage of the non Jews by destroying the social and the economical life of people and to force them to immigrate. For example, around 10% of people in my city immigrated and hundreds of shops and markets are closed after they surrounded it completely by concrete wall with two gates.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  5. Oct 6, 2005 #4
    Isn't there enough room for everyone? If we are all to love our neighbor as we love ourselves why do the Palestinians and Jewish keep doing things like this?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  6. Oct 6, 2005 #5
    This isn't about room - it's about the future of Jerusalem.
    Seeing as the Palestinians claim Jerusalem to be the capital of the Palestinian State-to-be, there is much government pressure to complete this security barrier quickly.
    The situation isn't entirely clear - the completed sections of the security barrier have proved themselves to be efficient in stopping infiltrations into Israel, however there is no denying the section of the barrier surrounding Jerusalem possesses a powerful political charge.
    I have signed up for a tour of the barrier organised by a joint Israeli-Palestinian organisation. I have been in the waiting list 4 weeks already - these are quite popular due to the geographical complexity of Jerusalem and its neighbouring cities. Unfortunately this lack of clarity is also used by the various parties to spread disinformation and exaggerations.
    It is a terrible move, albeit not as terrible as the terror it's meant to stop.

7. Oct 6, 2005 #6
    I have limited knowledge on this subject so I appreciate your and everyones patience if I ask a question that may be common knowledge for most.

Jerusalem is the capital of both countries and both of them want it for themselves, is this correct? Is there anything special about Jerusalem other than the religiously specific points of fact? Are there any similarities in the two separate groups that might be a "come together" point? I see that you are going to be in a joint-type organization for some reason. What will you be doing?

What would keep a Jewish person and a Palestinian from physically embracing each other in public and engaging in fellowship? Would it be one specific point or would it be a list of things? Is it like in America where Christians are supposed to be kind and love one another (and I believe most do) but there are those that shoot, kill, maim, and blow people up because of an extreme belief?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  8. Oct 6, 2005 #7
    Even common knowledge is disputed here...

Incorrect.
    There is no Palestinian state at this time. There is a Palestinian Authority, an autonomous state-like entity within the Israeli state. It is comprised almost entirely of PLO figures, and is recognized by Israel since the Oslo Accords.
    The PA and Israel cooperate quite extensively: the interim ministries exchange information on births, deaths and marriages; the Israeli State supplies the PA with water, electricity and sanitary services and the transport of vital commodities such as petrol, LPG, medical supplies and foodstuffs is guaranteed even during violent conflicts.
    Jerusalem is the capital of Israel, and all Israeli heads of state have declared it will remain unified as its capital. The PA aims to establish a state with Jerusalem as its capital, and its Parliament is located on the closest border of the Palestinian Authority to the Temple Mount.
    The subject of Jerusalem is therefor considered one of the major hurdles to true peace between Israelis and Palestinians, and none of the agreements between the two sides include any sort of mutual understanding regarding it.
    It is a capital city. Handing over a piece of one's capital city to a violent entity that that's responsible for so much bloodshed is difficult even for the most secular person.
    Traditionally Jerusalem has little significance in Islam. It is not mentioned once in the Koran. It is considered by some to be the place where Muhammad ascended to the heavens, and inside the Dome of the Rock there is a rock traditionally believed to have Muhammad's footprints, but that is little compared to the significance of other cities such as Mecca and Medina.
    Although it is in Israeli territory, the Temple Mount is strictly under the control of the Waqf - an independent Islamic body responsible for the maintainance of Islamic religious sites. Currently Jews are not permitted on the Temple Mount, and the security forces constantly confront Jews wishing to worship on the Temple Mount - a violation of the civil right of worship. An extremist few even call for the erection of a third Temple. Yet the Israeli State maintains the status-quo that has been established, in spite of constant provocations from the Waqf (calls to violence under pretense that Israel is undermining the Dome of the Rock, archeological digs in breach of an agreement not to alter anything on the Temple Mount and the destruction of archeological findings as a result). Muslim access to the Temple Mount is also restricted in times of tension, usually to males aged 40 or more. There have been numerous occasions where the worshippers on the Temple Mount ended their prayers by throwing rocks onto the Jews praying at the Western Wall underneath them, causing a violent confrontation with the security forces.
    Both have a majority of people wanting to live peacefuly, I hope that will be enough.
    I merely signed up for a tour of the barrier around Jerusalem guided by Israeli and Palestinian officials, but I try to keep active in a political sense - attending rallies and demonstrations. The last elections took place while I was in active military service, prohibiting me from participating, but in the elections prior to those I was very active and volunteered as an observer for a left wing party. I consider my time in the military as the most influential. I realise it may sound quite the opposite but I learnt there is no substitute to being there.

Nothing. The situation on the personal level is different to that on the national one. Some people bear grudges, but there are many Palestinians working in Israel and they often develop friendships with their employers. During the Oslo accords the PA was filled with bargain-shopping Israelis and we would go out to eat in places I would not come near today. Many customers and businessmen remained in good friendships since, but it is too dangerous for Israelis to enter Palestinian cities and so they rarely meet and if they do its only in Israel. One Israeli businessman was abducted and killed by terrorists less than a fortnight ago, I can only assume he entered somewhere he shouldn't have.
    It is extremism of greater extent. Despite being a left-winged Israeli I have much criticism for the Palestinians, because of their national selection, acceptance and support for horrific violent struggle. Even today, there is no opposition within Palestinian society to the most extreme form of violence - suicide bombers. But when whenever I talk with one, they object to it strongly. It seems even those opposed to it are unwilling to do anything to change it.
    The violence has also touched many on both sides. There is general conscription here. The military is filled with family members of terror victims, yet cases of unwarranted violence against Palestinians - of which there are quite a few - are far from being a system-wide problem. The Israeli public's consensus is that unnecessary violence is unacceptable and even shameful.

9. Oct 6, 2005 #8
  10. Oct 6, 2005 #9
    Thank you. I searched on Palestine and clicked a few links and it looks like most of the sub-articles are being disputed, oh well.

Would there be any sane way to allow both governments to use the city of Jerusalem? It dosen't seem like they both worship at the same places, just near each other. The part about throwing rocks at the ones practicing their faith below...I'm sure that it all started with one person doing it and then the fever caught on and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Pity.

Let me see if I have this straight: Palestinians are Muslim and the Jewish practice Judaism for the most part, right? Both have religiously historical sites within the city of Jerusalem that are the utmost holy to the respective groups. Both groups have had at one time or another throughout history "control" of the affected area(s), and Jordan has too I think, at least partly and then they relinquished/lost it. Are these statements correct?

Why do the Israelis support the Palestinians with the necessities as Yonoz said? It seems counter-productive if they want them to leave.

Yonoz, you said that it's about the future of Jerusalem. I don't fully understand. What would happen if all of a sudden the leader of the PA was omnipotent? Would he kill all the Jews and destroy their places of worship? What exactly do you think would actually happen? On the other hand, what would happen if the Jewish became omnipotent?

11. Oct 6, 2005 #10
    Palestinian are nation not religious group. There are 18% of them Christian (Bethlehem, Nazareth, beit Sahur , Beit Jala ....). Moreover, Jews used to be part of Palestinian people till UK decided to convert Palestine in 1921 to ''Jews homeland'' and to encourage all the Jews of the world to live here.

In my city , Nablus, we still have small Jews community who are Palestinian Jews. They live here since 3000 years. Furthermore, around 5% of People of my city are Christian. Here is the official homepage of the Palestinian Christian:
    http://www.al-bushra.org/

Unfortunately, since creation of Israel many people, especially Palestinian christian, decided to immigrate"

Jerusalem is not just Holy places. Simply anybody should be allowed to pray in his holy place without getting political authority on the city. This city is the spirit of Palestine, and there will be no Palestinian State without it. The city was divided in 1948: Western part became Jews part after all Muslims and Christian (who lived there for centuries) were kicked out or killed (e.g. Dair Yassin massacre). On the other hand, the eastern part is still Palestinian (Muslims, Christian and Armenian (Christian -non Arab) quarters as it was since centuries.

Currently the Palestinian accepted to get only East part, where Palestinian still live, but the Zionists built many Jews settlements around the Palestinian houses and recently they built this wall to destroy the Palestinian community in east Jerusalem and to force them to leave.

12. Oct 7, 2005 #11
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.

There is a HUGE amount of information on that webpage. It will take a while to read it all, thank you.

Was there any single or preferred place they went or did they just go to any place they felt better accommodated?

Thank you for all the information.
    E6S

13. Oct 7, 2005 #12
    There are many greek Orthodox's in Jerusalem, who are deemed as "Palestine's" The most important church in the orthodox faith is in Jerusalem "The mother of all churches". There is quiet a strong Greek community in Jerusalem centered around the orthodox monasteries... And also there was quite a big scandel recently regarding the Patriarch selling land to the jews, which not only pissed of lots of eastern Christian it pissed of lots Arabs too. Because of the above mentioned troubles.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,1442923,00.html

The ME saga continues

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  14. Oct 8, 2005 #13
    If you find it, let us know :smile:
    That is simply due to the fact that the Israeli State does not allow Jews to worship on the Temple Mount. It is actually the holliest site in Judaism, the wailing wall is simply the closest Jews can get to it. There is an extremist group calling for the foundation of a third temple and they organize rallies, trying to enter the Temple Mount and to pray there. They also try to achieve it by legal means.
    I would think it has something to do with the sermon they hear right before that - simply because most of the time it's peaceful, but when they have done it there was no shortage of participants.

There are also Christian Palestinians. Israel is mostly Jewish, but a large portion of its populace is Muslim and Christian.
    Mecca and Medina are "utmost holy" to the Islamic religion, Jerusalem isn't even mentioned in the Koran. It is central in Judaism. Just as all Muslims pray facing Mecca, Jews pray facing Jerusalem. Synagogues all around the world are built so that the congregation faces Jerusalem.
    The Palestinians never had control over Jerusalem. Actually, they did not control any territory prior to the Oslo Accords.
    Israel conquered Eastern Jerusalem, containing the Old City, in the 6-day war. Prior to that it was held by Jordan, since the end of the British mandate.

Israel has no interest in more hardship for the Palestinians - that would only bring about more violence. It's in Israel's interest to see regional prosperity.

I have very little faith in the good will of the Palestinian leadership. The PA is manned almost entirely by PLO members. The PLO has a militant wing called Fatah, which has carried out PA-sponsored acts of terrorism, particularly while its leaders are sitting at the negotiating table. I doubt they would allow an Israeli State to exist, not to mention Israeli control of Jerusalem.
    We do not have peace yet because of the wide gaps between our visions of a fair settlement. The first step would be to stop the violence, then trust can be restored, interim agreements can be made, money will do its thing and then maybe after a few centuries my and Bilal's grandchildren would know no violence. In the meantime, it's babysteps.
    There is no knowing what goes on in Sharon's head. He would probably make all the Palestinians disappear, maybe they'd show up in Pakistan or Iran. :tongue:

15. Oct 8, 2005 #14
    No one was "kicked out" of Western Jerusalem, and there was no killing either. Muslims and Christians have been living there uninterruptedly since 1948. The Jewish Quarter, however, is in the Eastern part of the Old City that fell under Jordanian control and its populace was "kicked out" by the Jordanians. Deir-Yassin isn't even near Jerusalem, and was an isolated incident that was carried out by a borderline group. Those who left Western Jerusalem did so in fear, but no one was coherced. They probably thought they could return once the experienced and well supplied armies of Jordan, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt with the support of local Arabs destroy the new Israeli State, as their leaders had promised.
    The city was meant to be demilitarized as per the UN partition plan. The Israeli State was originally declared in Tel-Aviv, and the Parliament resided there. However, the Arabs lay a bloody siege to the Jewish part of the city which lasted all through the War of Independence. There are still makeshift armoured cars laying on the side of the road to Jerusalem, serving as memorials to the men who died trying to bring food and ammunition to the besieged populace.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  16. Oct 8, 2005 #15
    Yonoz,

It seems you have a lot of time to spend on the internet.

Palestine was part of Ottoman Empire the same as Ukraine was part of USSR , the same as Bosnia was part of Yugoslavian Union ... When a union fall , it means the birth of many States ... Ottoman Empire fall so all ME and Balkan countries are created. Palestinian did not replace other nations, they are living here since centuries. They were pagan, after that part of them became Jews and then Christianity and Islam spread...

It is surprising to observe that you became also expert in Islam!!!

- Muslims got Jerusalem from Byzantine Empire in the 7yth century. In that time no Jews were in Jerusalem and no presence of what called Mount Temple (Actually Roman destroyed everything link to the Jews and did not let them to live in the city). Muslims built beautiful mosque in a holy area ... in other words, they did not get the city from the Jews, and they did not destroy or harm any Jews temples.

- If Jerusalem is not important for Muslim, could you explain why the Islamic world (Turks, Arab, Kurds ...) were fighting for 200 years to liberate it from Crusaders?

- Jerusalem is the third city in Islam and here verses of Koran concerning it (The verses mentioned that Jews will occupy Jerusalem, and they will destroy the holy mosque, thus muslims will unite against them):
    017.001 : Glory to (Allah) Who did take His servant for a Journey by night from the Sacred Mosque to the farthest Mosque, whose precincts We did bless, - in order that We might show him some of Our Signs: for He is the One Who heareth and seeth (all things).
    017.004 : And We gave (Clear) Warning to the Children of Israel in the Book, that twice would they do mischief on the earth and be elated with mighty arrogance (and twice would they be punished)!
    017.005 : When the first of the warnings came to pass, We sent against you Our servants given to terrible warfare: They entered the very inmost parts of your homes; and it was a warning (completely) fulfilled.
    017.006 : Then did We grant you the Return as against them: We gave you increase in resources and sons, and made you the more numerous in man-power.
    017.007: If you do good, you will do good for your own souls, and if you do evil, it shall be for them. So when the second promise came (We raised another people) that they may bring you to grief and that they may enter the mosque as they entered it the first time, and that they might destroy whatever they gained ascendancy over with utter destruction.
    017.008 : It may be that your Lord will have mercy on you, and if you again return (to disobedience) We too will return (to punishment), and We have made hell a prison for the unbelievers.
    At last , we should stop playing in religions cards, otherwise Jews will lose more than Palestinian. This is because most of muslims can not accept to recognise Isreal. They beleive that Zionists should have the same fate of crusaders. It is great step from Palestinain to accept the right of Israel to exist

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  17. Oct 8, 2005 #16
    Palestinian Christians started to immigrate in 50s after the creation of Israel on 78% of Palestine, which causes complete destruction of 540 Palestinian towns.
    - There are in Chili (South America), 300000 Palestinian orthodox Christian ... (3 times more than Palestinian orthodox Christian who still living in their country).
    - Ramallah was Christian city till 50s. It was rebuilt at the end of crusaders wars by native catholic Christian to be close to Jerusalem and Bethlehem.. Most of native people of this city are living now in Chicago (USA). The percentage of Christian in this city decreased dramatically in last 50 years from 100% to 18%.
    - Many of Palestinian (Christian and Muslims) are living in Jordan, Syria and Lebanon as refugees).

18. Oct 9, 2005 #17
    Let's not stoop to personal abuse.

Read again what I have written:
    Does it say anywhere Jerusalem is not important to Muslims? What it does say is that there are other cities of much greater importance, whereas in Judaism Jerusalem is pretty much the geographical epicenter, like Mecca in Islam. My personal opinion is that a fair settlement would recognize at least the relative differences in the city's importance, not to mention the choices made by Muslim leaders in the current conflict.
    Jerusalem, by the way, was taken by the Crusaders in 1099 and then by Salah a-Din in 1187 - a total of 88 years, so I don't see how Muslims were fighting to liberate it for 200 years. One can argue the religious importance it had in the eyes of its liberators, but Salah a-Din was in no rush to capture it (he retreated from 2 invasions organised by Nur a-Din because he wanted to wait for Nur a-Din's death and conquer his empire), nor did he stop conquering once he had it. The territory, the routes, the political significance (and the odd fact that it was in the way to Syria) were just as important, if not moreso. Let's not forget the man conquered other Muslim states - I don't think that's encouraged in the Koran. I guess you could say he had territorial aspirations.
    I see only one reference to Jerusalem, which is very vague in itself - "the farthest mosque" - it isn't even mentioned by name. Also, the passage doesn't really give it much significance, does it? It seems the city has gotten a lot more popular thanks to its history and political status.
    I don't see how you expect to come to a settlement with that sort of reasoning.

19. Oct 9, 2005 #18
    Let's not stoop to personal abuse.

Read again what I have written:
    Does it say anywhere Jerusalem is not important to Muslims? What it does say is that there are other cities of much greater importance, whereas in Judaism Jerusalem is the geographical and spiritual epicenter, like Mecca in Islam. My personal opinion is that a fair settlement would recognize at least the relative differences in the city's importance, not to mention the choices made by Muslim leaders regarding Jerusalem in the current conflict. There are numerous Jewish holy sites that Israel has given up in exchange for nothing but peace.
    Jerusalem, by the way, was taken by the Crusaders in 1099 and then by Salah a-Din in 1187 - a total of 88 years, so I don't see how Muslims were fighting to liberate it for 200 years. One can argue the religious importance it had in the eyes of its liberators, but Salah a-Din was in no rush to capture it (he retreated from 2 invasions organised by Nur a-Din because he wanted to wait for Nur a-Din's death and conquer his empire), nor did he stop conquering once he had it. The territory, the routes, the political significance and the odd fact that it was in the way to Syria were just as important, if not moreso. Let's not forget the man conquered other Muslim states - I don't think that's encouraged in the Koran. I don't think he was a very devout Muslim.
    I see only one reference to Jerusalem, which is very vague in itself - "the farthest mosque" - it isn't even mentioned by name. Also, the passage doesn't really give it much significance, does it? It seems the city has gotten a lot more popular thanks to its history and political status.
    I don't see how you expect to come to a settlement with that sort of reasoning.

20. Oct 9, 2005 #19
    Not even a secular Isreal?

21. Oct 9, 2005 #20
    It is uncommon in the Koran to mention the names of places, countries and people. Only Egypt is mentioned one time.

Mecca, Kabba, and Medina are not mentioned in the Koran , is that means they are not holy places?

((These Koran paragraphs are of great significance among Muslims. They indicate that Jews will occupy Jerusalem and they will destroy Al Aqsa mosque after they become superpower, but finally a great nation will defeat them and liberate Jerusalem … every year , when Muslims around the world celebrate "Isra and Merage" they read these paragraphs as promise to return back Jerusalem. The same as religious Jews believe in Massieh who will destroy the enemies of Israel.))

Prophet of Islam considered AL Aqsa as the third mosque in Islam, and for this reason early Muslims did their best to get Jerusalem.

I told you it is dangerous card, even Turkey (the strategic alliance of Israel) will react very badly and in unexpected way if anybody destroys this mosque …. Also you can say “bye” for all Jews temples and their heritage in Islamic world.

I wish not to see my country a battlefield of new crusaders wars, but this time between the Islamic world and Jews.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?