Strange SETI Signal from ~1000 LY

In summary, radio astronomers at the University of California (Berkeley) have detected a possible alien communication called SHGb02+14a, which has a frequency of 1420 megahertz - a frequency commonly associated with hydrogen. However, there is no confirmation of this signal and scientists are still observing it. A journalist from New Scientist has blown the story out of proportion and the SETI team is not getting overly excited. Some experts believe the signal may be from an Earthly source due to its "drifting" frequency. A radio astronomer from the SETI@home project has stated that the signal is not unusual and is most likely just "hype and noise."
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Dr Dan Wertheimer, a radio astronomer at the University of California (Berkeley) and the chief scientist for the project, said: "It is the most interesting signal from SETI@home. We are not jumping up and down, but we are continuing to observe it."

Named SHGb02+14a, the possible alien communication has a frequency of about 1420 megahertz - one of the main frequencies at which hydrogen, the most common element in the universe, readily absorbs and emits energy. [continued]

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=1028302004

Seth Shostak is to discuss this on Coast to Coast AM at 10:00 PM pacific time - about ten minutes from now.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dr Shostak reports that a journalist from New Scientist has blown this story out of proportion. A comment made that "it's consistent with the noise", was interpreted to mean noise made by an artificial source.

what you guys think? something to get excited about?

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I think it is promising and worthy of more study.

I don't see Jill Tartar weighing in on this. I wonder what she thinks.

The New Scientist article talks a lot about the "drifting" of the signal which I don't quite understand.

Looks like CNN's picked up on the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/09/02/space.signals.reut/index.html

Sounds exciting, though I don't think the SETI folks should pop out the champagne just yet...

plum said:
The New Scientist article talks a lot about the "drifting" of the signal which I don't quite understand.

I think it has to do with the idea that a signal from another star system would (1) be steady in its frequency and (2) be steady on those stellar coordinates. Drifting away from this may indicate an Earthly source of the signal.

i hope this turns out to be SOMETHING

Mystery Radio Signal 'Not Aliens'

BBC News Online is reporting that a radio signal from deep space is not from aliens, according to astronomers. The scientists quelled rumors that spread across the web after New Scientist magazine reported that a signal picked up by a telescope in Puerto Rico might be from an alien civilization. But the Seti@home project's chief scientist, Dr. Dan Wertheimer, told BBC that, "It's all hype and noise…. We have nothing that is unusual." [continued]

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64818,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_6

1. What is the SETI signal from ~1000 LY?

The SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) signal from ~1000 LY is a strong radio signal detected by the SETI Institute's radio telescope in 2015. It was found to have originated from a star system located approximately 1000 light years away from Earth.

2. What makes this SETI signal strange?

This SETI signal is considered strange because it has a very specific frequency of 1420 MHz, which is the same frequency as the hydrogen line. This frequency is often seen as a potential beacon for intelligent life, leading to speculation that the signal may have been intentionally sent by extraterrestrial beings.

3. Is this SETI signal confirmation of alien life?

No, the SETI signal from ~1000 LY cannot be confirmed as evidence of alien life. While it is an intriguing discovery, it is important to approach it with a scientific mindset and consider all possible explanations for the signal.

4. What other explanations are there for this SETI signal?

There are several potential explanations for this SETI signal, including natural sources such as pulsars, microlensing events, or even human-made interference. It is also possible that the signal could be a result of a technical error or equipment malfunction.

5. Are there any further investigations planned for this SETI signal?

Yes, the SETI Institute has continued to observe the signal and has also collaborated with other scientists to analyze the data. However, the signal has not been detected again since its initial discovery, making it difficult to draw any definitive conclusions at this time.