Strange sight in the night sky

In summary, a couple walking their dog saw a flash of light and a glowing, vapor-like trail in the sky. They later saw it again in the same location and investigated with a telescope, concluding that it was most likely a meteor. There have been previous reports of glowing trails and a foul odor accompanying meteors, indicating that this is a common occurrence. The possibility of a military jet's afterburner causing the glowing trail is ruled out. The poster also mentions upcoming meteor showers that could potentially provide more information on this phenomenon.
Artman
Not quite sure where this post should go so I'm putting it here.

My wife and I were walking the dog the other night and looking toward scorpio we saw a flash of light and then a very broad "vapor trail" like a glowing stripe crossed upwards across the sky. We walked on further and about five minutes later, in just about the same location in the sky, it happened again.

This time we were near home and I ran inside and got one of my telescopes and looked at the glowing trail. It just appeared to be vapor.

Here is the dilema. There was no moon and it was about 12:00 at night so the sun was well below the horizon. What made the trail glow? I live in a fairly dark sky area, jets were crossing overhead and not leaving a visible vapor trail. What do you think we saw?

Could a military jet's afterburner do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
You saw a meteor that exploded, usually called a fireball.
There have been a few reports of glowing trails after this type of occurance. It is often glowing green and emits a "foul odor".

NASA collected particles from such an occurance in the Yukon area I believe, around 1989, (or 1998?) but I haven't heard of a report from the analysis yet.

It is probably due to the fact that many meteors contain heavy elements, but I'm not an expert. Maybe Phobos knows more of this phenomonon.

P.S. Try a google search with this:
+"meteor" +"vapor trail" +"glowing"

(edit: Also, a jet's trail probably wouldn't do that.)

Why not a meteor?

FYI-
Delta Aquarid Meteor Shower will occur at the end of this month, roughly from July 27 to July 30, peaking at about 2 a.m. Eastern time on the 28th.
The Persied Meteor Shower will occur a couple weeks later, see the astronomy forum for more info.

Originally posted by J-Man
You saw a meteor that exploded, usually called a fireball.
There have been a few reports of glowing trails after this type of occurance. It is often glowing green and emits a "foul odor".

This sounds like a likely possibility The green glow and all. It had a very unnatural, glowing from the inside, look to it.

Thanks J-Man.

Originally posted by J-Man
It is often glowing green and emits a "foul odor".

I had never heard of a foul odor associated with a meteor before. Very interesting!

1. What could be causing the strange lights in the night sky?

The most common cause of strange lights in the night sky is the presence of natural phenomena such as meteor showers, auroras, or even the alignment of planets. However, it is also possible that the lights could be caused by man-made objects such as satellites or aircraft.

2. Is it possible that the strange lights are extraterrestrial in nature?

While it is always exciting to think about the possibility of extraterrestrial life, the strange lights in the night sky are usually explainable by natural or man-made causes. However, if you are unsure, it is always a good idea to report the sighting to a reputable organization, such as a local astronomical society, for further investigation.

3. How can I differentiate between a UFO and a natural or man-made object?

The best way to differentiate between a UFO (unidentified flying object) and a natural or man-made object is to observe the object's movements and characteristics. Natural objects such as meteors typically move quickly and have a fiery appearance, while man-made objects such as satellites or aircraft usually have a more controlled and steady movement. If the object does not fit into these categories, it may be worth reporting as a potential UFO.

4. Is there a specific time or location where strange sights in the night sky are more likely to occur?

Some natural phenomena, such as meteor showers or auroras, have specific times and locations where they are more likely to occur. However, strange sights in the night sky can happen at any time and in any location. It is important to keep an eye on the sky and be open to unexpected sightings.

5. How can I report a strange sight in the night sky?

If you have witnessed a strange sight in the night sky, the best way to report it is to contact a reputable organization, such as a local astronomical society or a government agency such as NASA or the Federal Aviation Administration. They can collect and analyze your report, and determine the cause of the strange sight.