Strange Star Physics: Existence of Baryons?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of the existence of Strange stars and the arrangement of strange quarks within them. It was mentioned that there may not be any baryons in a strange star, but there are theories that suggest the formation of Hyperons. It was also clarified that quark-gluon plasma and quark soup are different things, with quark-gluon plasma being in a different regime of the QCD-matter phase diagram. The conversation also touched on the distinction between Hyperons and baryons with strange quarks, and provided additional resources for further reading.
bbbl67
TL;DR Summary
Do strange stars organize themselves into baryons or as quark-gluon plasma?
I wasn't sure if I should post this in astrophysics or particle physics, so I'll try particle physics first, mods feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum. So I was wondering if hypothetical Strange stars exist, would the strange quarks arrange themselves into baryons (i.e. Lambda-0 or Sygma-0 baryons), or would they just be free-flowing quark-gluon plasma with strange quarks among the mix?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
bbbl67 said:
So I was wondering if hypothetical Strange stars exist
I do not think we need to assume the existence of these stars to answer your question within the models of such "stars"

There would not be any baryons in a strange star, it would be a quark-soup bound state (I would not call it a qg-plasma though). However, there are theories that suggests that Hyperons (baryons with s-valence quarks) can form in neutron stars which will influence the global properties of such star https://arxiv.org/abs/0811.2939

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2, ohwilleke, vanhees71 and 1 other person
I didn't realize that QG plasma and Q soup were different things? I had assumed they were synonyms. What distinguishes them?

Aren't Hyperons just Baryons with Strange quarks in them? So wouldn't Lambda-0 and Sygma-0 particles be Hyperons too?

bbbl67 said:
I didn't realize that QG plasma and Q soup were different things? I had assumed they were synonyms. What distinguishes them?
A qg-plasma is so hot and low pressure that you can neglect gravitational effects.
qg-plasma is in one regime of the QCD-matter phase diagram, quark matter is in another. Quark matter in strange stars would lie bewteen neutron stars and qg-plasma. I do not exactly where it is located, and no one else either because the QCD matter diagram is not fully understood yet.

From wikipedia:
Quark–gluon plasma (QGP) is an interacting localized assembly of quarks and gluons at thermal (local kinetic) and (close to) chemical (abundance) equilibrium. The word plasma signals that free color charges are allowed.

bbbl67 said:
Aren't Hyperons just Baryons with Strange quarks in them? So wouldn't Lambda-0 and Sygma-0 particles be Hyperons too?
That is what I wrote. What about it did you not understand? (Sigma, not Sygma). You can read more about Baryons here https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/a-beginners-guide-to-baryons/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are baryons?

Baryons are subatomic particles that make up the majority of matter in the universe. They are composed of three quarks and are classified as either protons or neutrons.

2. How do baryons contribute to the existence of stars?

Baryons play a crucial role in the formation and stability of stars. They are responsible for the gravitational pull that allows stars to form and their fusion reactions provide the energy that keeps stars shining.

3. Can baryons exist in strange star physics?

Yes, baryons can exist in strange star physics. Strange stars are theorized to be made up of strange matter, which is composed of up, down, and strange quarks. Baryons, which are also made up of quarks, can therefore exist in strange star physics.

4. How are baryons different from other subatomic particles?

Baryons are different from other subatomic particles, such as leptons, because they are made up of three quarks, while leptons are fundamental particles that do not consist of quarks. Baryons also have a higher mass than leptons.

5. Are baryons affected by the strange force in strange star physics?

Yes, baryons are affected by the strange force in strange star physics. The strange force is a strong nuclear force that acts on particles with strange quarks, including baryons. This force helps to hold strange matter together in strange stars.