Solving Strange Structures: Platt Truss Issues

In summary, the author has trouble with a truss and consults a book for help. The book tells the author that the axial force in a member EK is 96.2 kN, but the author finds that the force is actually lower. The author solves for the force in member EK by cutting through the members and finds that the force is zero.
physicsCU
OK, I am having some issues with some trusses.

The first one is a platt truss, h = 8 m, length of horizontal beams = 8 m

F = 340 kN occurs at each of the 5 pts between the supports, one is a pin, the other is a roller.

I get the force in a diagonal to be ~240 kN, but the answer in the book is 96.2 kN, a factor of 2.5.

I did a bunch of searches on google, and I think my procedure is right, even according to the examples. So where does that 2.5 come from? Or is the book wrong? Part of me thinks that the book is wrong, but this isn't the first problem in this chapter that would be true.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show me an equation I can spot an error, but I don't feel like doing the problem from scratch right now because its 1:13 am, sorry. Just make sure you sumed the forces in the y and x directions correctly and found the correct support reactions when you sum the moments about one of the supports. The factor of 2.5 comes from you getting the wrong anwser. A picture would help a lot here.

Last edited:
OK, we are to find the axial force in member EK.

Point A is a pin support, H is a roller.

F_x = A_x = 0
F_y = H_y + A_y - 5F = 0
M_a = 6LH_y - LF - 2LF - 3LF - 4LF - 5LF = 0

These give A_x = 0, H_y = 850 kN, A_y = 850 kN

Now I cut through DE, EK, and KL.

F_y = H_y - 2F - EKsin(45 degrees) = 0

This is the procedure I did.

I can't get a pic up, but imagine this:
B C D E G
I J K L M

F acts downward at I,J,K,L,M

Again L = 8 m, F = 340 kN

L is the vertical and horizontal distances, but not diagonals.

Hope this helps.

The bridge won't work out, but you get the idea.

your work seems right, book might be wrong. Is the book by hibbeler 9th ed.?

No, it is Bedford and Fowler.

I will look at it tomorrow and see what I can do with it.

Your work does seem correct, to me at least.

Thanks.

I had another issue earlier today that was resolved by an incorrect moment equation. I will work on that tomorrow, and report back here.

1. What is a Platt Truss?

A Platt Truss is a type of structural system commonly used in bridge construction. It consists of a series of triangular units connected together to form a rigid structure. The design of the truss allows for the distribution of weight and forces, making it a strong and efficient choice for bridges.

2. What are some common issues that arise when solving strange structures like Platt Trusses?

Some common issues that arise when solving strange structures like Platt Trusses include determining the correct load distribution, analyzing the stability of the structure, and accounting for any potential weak points or stress concentrations. Additionally, the complexity of the truss design can make it challenging to accurately calculate the forces and stresses within the structure.

3. How do scientists approach solving these issues?

Scientists approach solving issues with strange structures like Platt Trusses by using mathematical models and computer simulations. These tools allow for a thorough analysis of the structure and its behavior under different conditions. They also allow for the identification of potential problem areas and the optimization of the truss design.

4. Can technology aid in the solving of strange structures like Platt Trusses?

Yes, technology plays a crucial role in solving strange structures like Platt Trusses. Advanced software and computer programs allow for accurate modeling and simulation of the truss's behavior, making it easier to identify potential issues and find solutions. Additionally, technology also allows for the use of innovative materials and construction techniques, further improving the strength and stability of the truss.

5. What are the benefits of solving strange structures like Platt Trusses?

The benefits of solving strange structures like Platt Trusses include improved safety and stability of the structure, increased efficiency and cost-effectiveness in design and construction, and the potential for innovative and sustainable solutions. Additionally, understanding the complexities of these structures can also contribute to advancements in the field of structural engineering.