Oddities: A Collection of Unusual Events

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events
In summary, I was feeling watched and paranoid, and after a week of observation I found that two deer were watching me.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you find to be strange, perplexing, weird, odd...and no mention of other members please; especially not me! :biggrin:

...a few things that I've noticed lately. I don't mean to imply that there are any conspiracies or otherwise.

The new Burger King commercial with the cowgirls swinging and showing their buns. That is a very strange commercial.

St Helens goes off this week followed almost immediately by the Mexican volcano [today].

Diesel is $2.50 a gallon in Oregon. An investigation is in process.

Brokaw and Rather retire the same year.

Here is one for the ESP crowd. Recently I had the distinct feeling that I was being watched as I walked up to the house from the office late at night. After about a week of this I caught the culprits. We have a couple of deer living on the property this year. Sure enough, nearly every night they are watching me. I usually can spot them now that I know where to look.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bush was reelected :confused: :biggrin:
Many powerful people don't seem to care about the genocide in Darfur. :grumpy: :frown:
My neighbor is watching me through binoculars even though he's right outside my window. :bugeye:
In "Rear Window," the guy kills the dog and digs up the knife and saw (he didn't have to do both). ??

This is so weird, I was thinking about starting a thread like this yesterday.

St. Helen's had a mild eruption of gass and steam on Tues. 3/8 and Mexico's volcano erupted with lava and ash on Thurs. 3/10. Will there be an earthquake soon? Somewhere between the two?

A few days ago I drank a half a gallon of water for seemingly no reason.

What is the world coming to?

motai said:
A few days ago I drank a half a gallon of water for seemingly no reason.

What is the world coming to?

That isn't weird! I'll tell you what's weird.

I did mechanics when i was bored, when i don't even do mechanics.

Ivan Seeking said:
What do you find to be strange, perplexing, weird, odd...and no mention of other members please; especially not me! :biggrin:

Myself, or at least I am often told that I am weird, odd, strange, and preplexing! :biggrin: It keeps me entertained as I go through the drudgery of another day. Plus it is a good way to keep other people guessing! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
...a few things that I've noticed lately. I don't mean to imply that there are any conspiracies or otherwise.

Lately? I don't know about you Ivan, but life is a pretty strange metastable state! Of course the strangeness keeps it interesting at least! How is this for strange: Evo says that she was thinking about starting this thread yesterday, well I was thinking about starting it last week but then I had a hunch you would get around to it knowing that Evo would drop the whole idea! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
The new Burger King commercial with the cowgirls swinging and showing their buns. That is a very strange commercial.

Sex sells and everyone is buying! :rofl: (or is it 'bi'-ing? ) Some other sex filled commercials: There is the 'old spice' body soap commercial where the guy is taking a shower and then starts having the fantasy of the babe at the pool which is interrupted by his mother. The immediate insinuation is that the guy is jerking-off.
There is a local insurance company commercial that is really gay: There are two guys in a shower lathering up, one is the 'stud' cowboy type wearing a cowboy hat and the other is the 'enthuastic' one with golly-gee expressions and questions. It is by far the gayest redneck commercial I have ever seen! :yuck:

Ivan Seeking said:
St Helens goes off this week followed almost immediately by the Mexican volcano [today].

I think the speculation that the pacific plates are still readjusting to the December event seems to have some validity. Of course geo-physics is not my area. :uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
Diesel is $2.50 a gallon in Oregon. An investigation is in process.

So what happened to all that Iraqi black gold we were promised? Once again the age old practice of screwing the little guy has come back into vogue in full form! :grumpy:

Ivan Seeking said:
Brokaw and Rather retire the same year.

Ironically it is happening in the same year that the major TV news networks are losing credibility as everyone switches to the net for news info! Go figure? :rolleyes:

Ivan Seeking said:
Here is one for the ESP crowd. Recently I had the distinct feeling that I was being watched as I walked up to the house from the office late at night. After about a week of this I caught the culprits. We have a couple of deer living on the property this year. Sure enough, nearly every night they are watching me. I usually can spot them now that I know where to look.

Now this strange little phenomena has always eluded scrutiny and valdiation. Maybe there is a QM explanation to this?? Perhaps when an 'observer' is observing another 'observer' there are wave functions collapsing and this is somehow is translated into the macroscopic observation of what we call 'having the impression of being watched'. Of course I like to think everyone is watching me that way I can support my delusion of self-importance! :rofl:

How is this for strange: I discovered that beer and chocolate donuts go well together! :biggrin: Plus if you spell 'doughnuts' wrong people don't seem to mind! :rofl:

Last edited:
Norwegian Minister of Defence, Kristin Krohn Devold, has not been kicked out of office.
Her period has been characterized by a series of organizational&financial disasters, anyone of which would normally have been enough to force the resignation of the person in charge (i.e, M.o.D)

Last edited:
My friends came home from a week long trip and discovered that their cat had been partially shaved. Still an unsolved mystery.

$2.50 for a gallon of diesel. Is that expensive or cheap?

brewnog said:

That's about 1.30 pounds. Yes it is pricey here in the US even though you guys in the UK pay more for petrol! Remember the vast majority of our transport infrastructure centers on motor vehicles so when there is a spike in gas or oil then there are financial repercussions across the board. I guess that explains our obsession with oil!

brewnog said:
That's VERY expensive.

Bugger me, a gallon of diesel here works out at $6.17. I had no idea the difference was that big!

Evo said:
This is so weird, I was thinking about starting a thread like this yesterday.

You want to know something really funny? A few days ago I tried to shave some cat but it got away!

Polyb, I have to mention this in response to your beer and donuts. I have found that salty turkey sandwiches and sweet, strong coffee,. are great together. Also, When tobasco and melted cheddar cheese come together [extra sharp is best] there is some kind of chemical reaction that distinctly changes the flavor of the cheese. I love my nachos this way.

Ivan Seeking said:
You want to know something really funny? A few days ago I tried to shave some cat but it got away!
LOL! :rofl: My friends' suspicion is that their cat leads a double life with another family. Inspecting the shaved area, they noticed a very small red mark, like a tiny scar, and they think that perhaps the cat was bitten or somehow injured and this other family took it to the vet for treatment.

No other cat shavings have been reported in the neighborhood.

Ivan Seeking said:
Polyb, I have to mention this in response to your beer and donuts. I have found that salty turkey sandwiches and sweet, strong coffee,. are great together. Also, When tobasco and melted cheddar cheese come together [extra sharp is best] there is some kind of chemical reaction that distinctly changes the flavor of the cheese. I love my nachos this way.

Funny thing is, I'm reading this as I'm munching on nachos! :biggrin:

None of that is weird at all. You want strange, check this out:
Just the other day, I asked this cute girl out and she said NO.

My whole perception of reality is crumbling around me.

Were you wearing your dress?

Smurf, I thought you already had a girlfriend.

Did this one see you in your dress? Maybe she's jealous of your figure. :biggrin:

Smurf said:
None of that is weird at all. You want strange, check this out:
Just the other day, I asked this cute girl out and she said NO.

My whole perception of reality is crumbling around me.
Now that is strange!

Nothing strange happens to me. The occasional dejavu, but nothing lately.

edit... I forgot about the whole dress thing: You guys may be right :rofl:

Now this is really weird: I'm sitting here in my dress crying into my espresso over the fact that I am a completely rejected by a turkey sandwich! The nachos I am also eating are garnished with shaved cats covered in tobasco and chedder. Meanwhile the is a gay TV commercial selling beer doughnuts! My GAWD, I think this has happened before! I swear this is one of those daja pews! :rofl:

When he wears the dress he's Smurfette, right?

polyb said:
Now this is really weird: I'm sitting here in my dress crying into my espresso over the fact that I am a completely rejected by a turkey sandwich! The nachos I am also eating are garnished with shaved cats covered in tobasco and chedder. Meanwhile the is a gay TV commercial selling beer doughnuts! My GAWD, I think this has happened before! I swear this is one of those daja pews! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh, and one more for good measure... :rofl:

Okay, I think I see the problem here...women willing to date men who wear dresses are pretty rare. Sure, it's completely sexist of those women, but it doesn't make it any less true. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Okay, I think I see the problem here...women willing to date men who wear dresses are pretty rare. Sure, it's completely sexist of those women, but it doesn't make it any less true. :rolleyes:

Hey, one halloween I went out in full drag, had a lot of compliments on my legs, learned how difficult was to dance in a dress, and then a beautiful geenie come out of her costume for a night of wild animalistic pleasure. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! :tongue2:

Evo said:
That explains why he was rejected, she didn't want the competition. We all know what a little slut smurfette was. I mean c'mon, one female smurf and hundreds of little smurfs. Either most smurfs were gay or she was one busy little girl! :rofl:

polyb said:
That explains why he was rejected, she didn't want the competition. We all know what a little slut smurfette was. I mean c'mon, one female smurf and hundreds of little smurfs. Either most smurfs were gay or she was one busy little girl! :rofl:

Well, they do say blondes have more fun! :tongue2: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Well, they do say blondes have more fun! :tongue2: :rofl:

Yeah, but you know what they say about redheads, right? :tongue2::rofl:

Have you seen the commercial by BASF? They don’t make a product; they just make other company’s products better. I might understand some purpose in advertisement, by why so often? And then a friend made the same observation just today.

Not long ago there was suspicion of satanic cults stealing people’s pets for rituals. Maybe Ivan should do a little more 's’plainin’?

Has anyone noticed the older you are the less often you experience de-ja-vu? Or is it just me?

And I’d like to know if Smurf’s dress was…blue? (No stains I’m sure.) And why do men like to put on women’s lingerie—hairy chests and all - what’s with that?

And why do I hear voices in my head that keep saying “Tabasco and melted cheddar cheese—devour me please…”?

Last edited:
I confess to nothing involving satanic cat shaving rituals.

Ivan Seeking said:
I confess to nothing involving satanic cat shaving rituals.
Ah-hah! Don't try to distract us about shavings. It's the bite mark that is in question here.

SOS2008 said:
Ah-hah! Don't try to distract us about shavings. It's the bite mark that is in question here.
You know that could have been an alien implant...

Next on the Pet Psychic: My cat was abducted by aliens.

I hate you all

You're all horrible people! I come here for simpathy and all i get are careless taunts about my choice of dress! (pun intended)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've been rejected by the girl of my :!) dreams! Do you not understand what I'm going through :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Me? A girlfriend? That's an idea!

Moonbear said:
Smurf, I thought you already had a girlfriend.
Are you referring to the one that couldn't make up her mind if she wanted me or not? No, I dumped her ages ago, too christian for me. I'm single right now (but hopefully not for long)

Last edited:
Magical dresses rock!

Evo said:
Yes, the dress is magical, it will invert the gender of everyone wearing it, you can immagine how surprised my ex was when she borrowed it for an AC meeting.
I tried to warn her... honest o:)

Last edited:
Back