Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange travelling hairs.

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Every morning I wake up to find hairs on my pillow.I find this a bit irritating because I haven't got much hair anyway and I need it for insulation.Anyway, I brush away the hairs and chuck them in the dustbin.What is really bizarre is that the next morning the hairs are back on the pillow again.My wife swears that she did not put them there so how did they travel from the dustbin and back to the pillow?Perhaps I should call in the psychic inveastigators.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did it ever occur to you that they might be new ones (i.e. they are travelling from your head to the pillow, instead of the dustbin)

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    Pretty strange. Mine have been traveling from my head to my ears and back.

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    CompuChip they are definately the same hairs,I can tell by the grease and bits of dirt on them.

6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    perhaps you mark one and ...set up a time lap camera, track its movements.

7. Mar 1, 2009 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's probably more convenient (in any case, cooler) to mark it with some tracking material that reflects UV, for example, and set up an UV camera in your bedroom.

8. Mar 1, 2009 #7
    I tried to buy some hair tracking equipment but when I asked the shop assistant where it was she told me to bog off.

9. Mar 2, 2009 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Someone wrote a song about this:

This happens with pillows all the time. It's only the hairs' low density that keeps them on the outside of the pillowcase instead of buried somewhere inside it. If you get a knife and slice open your pillow, you'll find every sock you've ever lost in the washing machine in your entire life.

10. Mar 3, 2009 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Not MY socks!! :biggrin: They are all laying out along some highway somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. Probably right next to Ivan's shoe...

11. Mar 3, 2009 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep threatening to sue my barber. I told her that when I started going there I had plenty of hair, but now look what happened. And she refuses to put it back.

12. Mar 3, 2009 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've seen them! They're laying along the highway just outside of Rachel, Nevada. And Ivan's shoe, too.

13. Mar 3, 2009 #12
    Pretty strange stuff.

I'd like to ask if you guys know anything about little elves? Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I spot some gray hairs, and it makes me wonder how small the painter elves must be if they can only do a couple of strands a night.

14. Mar 3, 2009 #13
    Same happens to me, not on my pillow, but in my bathroom. Ever since I don't wear my glasses in my bathroom, my hair never made it back there though. Hope that helps.

15. Mar 3, 2009 #14
    Its not Elves, its the Pixies. If you put a slice of chocolate cake under your pillow each night, they will eat and leave your hair alone.

16. Mar 5, 2009 #15

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only if they're very hungry the may still touch your hair.
    And when they have already had dinner elsewhere, they might leave the cake which will give quite a bit of a mess in the morning.
    I think it's worth trying though... (and we wanna see photos afterwards!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook