Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange WIFI problem ?

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    I have an ADSL connection to my PC. I bought an ADSL WIFI antenna box so I can receive the high speed internet network on my notebook in the other room or backyard of my house. It works OK, I can even completely turn off my desktop PC and just connet the WIFI box - antenna to power supply and telephone line and I can get the network on my notebook.

But when I try to see a satellite image of a large city like brooklyn through maps.google.com, it only loads a number of picture frames and then gets stuck at 18 frames remaining. Even on my notebook it gets stuck at 18 frames. But if I use the normal ADSL box (not antenna and on my desktop) it works OK . Why does this WIFI box stop loading the pages after a certain point ? IS it something about the box that doesn't work ? All the other web pages load properly, the fact that it gets stuck on big cities in maps.google.com is really strange. Anyone have any idea about something like this ? thanks for any answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You probably have a bit of packet loss on the WiFi connection. Consider the location of the access point, try different radio channels to see if you can eliminate interference, etc.

- Warren

4. Aug 17, 2007 #3
    Thanks for some clues. So how can I try different radio channels if the adsl wifi router is simply a box and there is no way to configure it ? Even when the box is attached to the power and telephone line only, how can I make it use other channels ? I found the box already set up by a friend so I am really not sure if there is some way it can be configured.

Also for the notebook should I try to just find a position in space compared to the wifi box that could make the signal arrive without loss ? a bit like moving an antenna for a tv set to get better reception ? thanks for any other ideas.

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to configure it via your web browser. Read the owner's manual.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?