1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strangely aligned capacitor plates

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    Working along step-by-step with a text and I'm stumped as to how they reached a conclusion. In the first picture you see two plates aligned at an unspecified angle, theta. One plate is at a potential V and the other is grounded. The distance between the plates at one end is d, and at the other end d+a. You can see in the second picture how they've set it up with respect to a two dimensional coordinate system. Maybe it's late and I'm braindead or maybe not in any even I can't see how they've formed the relationship between b,d and a to determine the distance between the actual origin and the intersection of the plates (dotted lines in picture three). Can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks.

ScreenShot2012-05-18at11434AM.png

ScreenShot2012-05-18at11722AM.png

ScreenShot2012-05-18at11714AM.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2
    P.S. the whole point is to find the potential, but this is where I'm hung up.

4. May 18, 2012 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the triangle (in x<0) with base OO' and the height d, you have
    tan(theta_0)=d/(OO').

In the trapezoid (in x>0), draw the horizontal at height d to form a similar triangle,
    with base b and height a. Thus
    tan(theta_0)=a/b.

5. May 18, 2012 #4
    Truly geometry is my weakest link. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook