Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stranger Among Bears

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2
    Reminds me of the last bear nut job, the guy in alaska, his name escapes me at the moment.

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jeez! I'm watching one episode right now. At one point, a black bear standing upright [on two legs], walks up to Charley - the human - and takes a swipe at his shoulder with his claw. Charley reprimands the bear and smacks him a good one right upside the head!!! Cripes!!!!!!!! These are wild bears.

5. Aug 28, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

For some reason, I can't help thinking of Astronuc on vacation when I see that. :uhh:

That dude should team up with Palin; he lures them in with food, and she shoots them.

It does remind me of my uncle John, in a way. He was a widower from Idaho who moved up here with his 6 kids and married my mother's sister. Mom and I lived with them until I was 2 1/2 years old, when my parents finally got married. He was one tough old bugger, about the same age as, and best friends with, my dad. That would make him around 110 now if he was still alive. He was both an auctioneer and a square-dance caller, as well as a farmer, so he had one hell of a set of lungs. One day, when he was in his late 70's, they were having a picnic out in one of his fields, and a black bear strolled right up to the table and decided to help himself. John jumped up, let out a bellow like a wounded bull, and landed a haymaker on the bear's jaw. The bear went whimpering back into the bushes. John sat back down and started eating again. My aunt asked him what the hell he was thinking of to do that. His reply, as he calmly continued his meal, was "There's no way that damned thing was getting into my fried chicken." :rofl:
    (True story.)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  6. Aug 28, 2009 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you thinking of this couple? http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/oct_2003/california.htm"

At least this one wore a suit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Grizzly" [Broken]). I really need to rent this one of these days.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Aug 28, 2009 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Aug 28, 2009 #7

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People who do this are -in my opinion- just plain stupid. Yes, they might be OK 99% of the time but eventually someone gets hurt; and then people will inevitable blame the "dangerous animal".
    The problem is that many people who do this seem to be motivated by some strange urge to show that dangerous animals are just "misunderstood". Although that might be true to some extent (just think of the reputation of wolves; yes they are dangerous but not more so than many other animals) it is also true that animals -predators in particular- are neither good nor evil. There is no such thing as a "nice" grizzly (or nice wolf, tiger, lion etc); if you come between it and its cub it is likely to attack you regardless of any imagined "friendship".

It all boils down to the fact that we have to RESPECT animals; most of the time there is no reason to go around being afraid of bears, wolves etc but one should also realize that they ARE potentially dangerous. We also have to realize that under some circumstances a predator might look at us and think "lunch!", it doesn't mean that the animal is "evil", it just means that it -correctly- identifies us as another animal and a potential prey.

There was a case a few years ago when a couple of German tourists were eaten by lions when on safari in a national park in Africa. It turns out they had left their car in order to get a better look. I can't see why anyone would blame the lions...

9. Aug 28, 2009 #8
    This guy is not a tourist. Calling him stupid is clearly unfair. He said he's 70, his life is behind, and he knows all too well that it can end any time. The only real question is whether he causes those bears to me less afraid of humans in general and this is the only official problem authorities have with him.

10. Aug 28, 2009 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And what happens if he is killed by one of the bears?
    Most people will understand that he would only have himself to blame. But the problem is that an incident like that would also make many people even more afraid of bears; and those people would then be more likely to demand that any bear that comes close to humans are shot (or at least transported to another area).

I grew up in an area where the number of bears (standard size brown bears; not grizzlies)have been increasing of the past few decades. There is constant struggle between people like me who think this is a good thing but who ALSO realizes that this to some extent restricts when/how people can e.g. walk in a forest (not to mention hunt; a few hunting dogs are killed each year); and people who think nature should be "safe" and essentially advocates eradicating all dangerous animals (bears, wolves).

11. Aug 28, 2009 #10
    Those people are a problem for Nature and our relationship with Her independently of bear huggers.

12. Aug 28, 2009 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The guy's a nut. The real sad part is if one of those bears ever mauls him (which is inevitable, imo), it will be killed :cry:.

13. Aug 28, 2009 #12
    It endangers other people more than himself. I don't care if he dies but some other people might die because of him.

14. Aug 28, 2009 #13
    I think it puts the bears in more danger than he's putting other people.

The bears will probably feel less threatened by humans which will ultimately cause more bears to be killed.

15. Aug 28, 2009 #14
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  16. Aug 28, 2009 #15
    Why would anybody think it necessary to kill the bear ? The error is not on this (admittedly) nut guy, the error is on the individual killing the bear.

17. Aug 28, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, but it's standard procedure in every state I've ever lived to hunt down any bear that has attacked a human (actually, it's a policy not only for bears, but any animal...cougar, dog, etc.).

I always wondered how they were sure they got the right one :confused:.

18. Aug 28, 2009 #17
    People feel that animals are subject to the same laws humans are... for some reason these darned animals don't know how to follow them.

Eg. In Russia one time a goat or something was sentenced 1 year in prison in Siberia.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=zsQ...q=goat sentenced 1 year prison russia&f=false

It's off topic but read some of the other cases. Like the statue that had been put on trial and sentenced. Hahaha oh boy.

19. Aug 28, 2009 #18

negitron

Science Advisor

Bears who feel less threatened by people are less afraid to be around them, obviously. They become bolder around humans, pressing deeper into human habitations where, sooner or later, there's trouble. Bears and humans should be wary of each other; it's what keeps them separated.

20. Aug 28, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe the thinking is that once a bear has attacked a human, it is far more likely than the average bear to do so again.

Note that he has been doing this for twenty years and has only received one bad bite to the hand. He seems to have a keen understanding of his limits and place among the pack. He uses only a stick for defense. Right or wrong, his ability to read and understand the bears is nothing less than remarkable.

In one scene, he goes for a walk in the woods with I think five [three to five] grizzly bears in tow. AMAZING!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  21. Aug 28, 2009 #20
    Sure, but is there any evidence ? There is certainly evidence that if a human did kill another human, then that human is likely to do so again. But bears are not human. It is not obvious to me that they should even remember having attacked another human. We are not even talking about a bear attacking a random human, making it more likely that the given bear is somehow violent. We are talking about a random bear attacking a bear hugger. This is a highly biased statistical sample towards random bear rather than violent bears (assuming such a distinction exists).

I admit that I am playing the devil advocate here. This guy would be much better working say in a zoo where he could be in permanent contact with tamed bears. He should simply respect the law without further argument. But it must be recognized that the legal arguments are not scientific, they are based on a form of "precautionary principle".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook