Strategy to solve Mechanics!

• Thread starter Charanjit
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I don't have a specific problem. I have an exam coming up. Our class was all about Mechanics. So I want to have a strategy to solve problems, that I can follow. Can someone help me?

Topics include:

Kinematic Problems (Motion in 1-3 Dimensions)
Forces
Conservation of Energy/Work
Center of Mass/Linear Momentum
Rotation

I am basically looking for a general strategy to approach problems, and solve them.

Answers and Replies

IME lack of time management should be a concern. If the test is really tough, few students will finish, and of those who don't, a lot never get anything scrawled on the last question or two.

Show me what you know, not what you don't. I am generous with even a reasonable restatement of the problem, a short list of equations, and some effort vs throwing stuff together in a haphazard fashion. If you are lost, state what you know and move on.

Put together coherent equations and a logical approach. I would much rather see all the algebra done at once which points to a solution versus numerical answers every step of the way.

Know Newton's laws.

Know Newton's laws.

Dance with the gal you brought: if youu have a methodology that has worked in the past, use it. This is not always the best time to realize that energy conservation is better than a purely kinematics approach unless the question asks you for a particular approach.

Rotation: try not to get dizzy and remember that it is only a specialized case of linear principles and equations.

Best of luck.

PS: knowing calculus well, and being able to apply it on the fly is the very best defense!

I dont think there is general strategy for solving physics problem. You must understand meaning of each eq. and know how to interpret info from each problem.

p/s: maybe alvin halpern's 3k physics problem can help you improve your skill :)