1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stratified manifolds

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    hi, i encountered this term in julian barbour webpage and i will like it if someone can tell me more about them?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2004 #2
    Is a differentiable 2-manifold with singularities that are also differentiable manifolds themselves

Perhaps there's some relationship with the objects known as stratified vector bundles? Sorry, I'm not an expert

4. Apr 1, 2004 #3

jeff

Science Advisor

I couldn't find this term on barbour's site or by googling. But knowing what he works on, by a "stratified" space he may have meant what is more commonly referred to as a "foliated" space, which roughly speaking is a space that has been expressed as a union of disjoint hypersurfaces, very much like a salami as a union of slices. In the context of the physics of spacetime, these hypersurfaces represent surfaces of simulteneity, with different observer's seeing the universe as being sliced up - foliated - in different ways. If this turns out not to be what he meant by "stratified", never mind. :smile:

5. Apr 1, 2004 #4
    http://www.qgravity.org/discussion/jb/

quote:"Second, the approach based on a 3D continuum and factoring out symmetries (which leads to consideration of stratified manifolds) really does seem to me to lead to a deep insight into the structure of relativity and gauge theory. "

I like stratified spacetime.

6. Apr 2, 2004 #5

arivero

Gold Member

On other hand, the (Fulton-MacPherson) stratification of configuration space is a very abstruse way to codify differential structure.

7. Apr 2, 2004 #6
    well let's see if we are speaking about the same page.
    i was reffering to this website:
    www.platonia.com in the link of ideas.

it was briefly described (i think this website is more promoting his book than provide explanations about his ideas).

8. Apr 2, 2004 #7

arivero

Gold Member

http://www.platonia.com/ideas.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?