Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stratified manifolds

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    hi, i encountered this term in julian barbour webpage and i will like it if someone can tell me more about them?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2004 #2
    Is a differentiable 2-manifold with singularities that are also differentiable manifolds themselves

Perhaps there's some relationship with the objects known as stratified vector bundles? Sorry, I'm not an expert
  4. Apr 1, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

I couldn't find this term on barbour's site or by googling. But knowing what he works on, by a "stratified" space he may have meant what is more commonly referred to as a "foliated" space, which roughly speaking is a space that has been expressed as a union of disjoint hypersurfaces, very much like a salami as a union of slices. In the context of the physics of spacetime, these hypersurfaces represent surfaces of simulteneity, with different observer's seeing the universe as being sliced up - foliated - in different ways. If this turns out not to be what he meant by "stratified", never mind. :smile:
  5. Apr 1, 2004 #4

quote:"Second, the approach based on a 3D continuum and factoring out symmetries (which leads to consideration of stratified manifolds) really does seem to me to lead to a deep insight into the structure of relativity and gauge theory. "

I like stratified spacetime.
  6. Apr 2, 2004 #5

Gold Member

On other hand, the (Fulton-MacPherson) stratification of configuration space is a very abstruse way to codify differential structure.
  7. Apr 2, 2004 #6
    well let's see if we are speaking about the same page.
    i was reffering to this website:
    www.platonia.com in the link of ideas.

it was briefly described (i think this website is more promoting his book than provide explanations about his ideas).
  8. Apr 2, 2004 #7

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?