Explaining the Phenomenon of Electric Charge in Straws

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon known as the Triboelectric effect, which involves charging objects through friction. The charged object can reach thousands of volts and can attract uncharged objects. One object must be charged positively and the other negatively to attract, but only one object needs to be charged for the phenomenon to occur. This method is used in various machines, including dust extractors, and can be seen in everyday objects like a plastic straw sticking to a wall.
Numeriprimi
Hi!
Someone said me, if I take a plastic straw and wipe it with a handkerchief (or something like that), I can recharge it so that it will hang even on some of the walls due to electric charge (but do not know which way, tomorrow I am going to buy some straws:-D)
How would you explain this phenomenon? How big is that electric charge?
Thanks for your ideas and sorry for my bad English.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thanks! :-)
Hmm, it's a lot. And how do you know it?
I ask about eletric charge, so how can I calculate it? From voltage?
Electricity I have not seen since elementary school, so I don't know much.

One element must be charged positively and the other negatively to attract. Straw is positive or negative?

Numeriprimi said:
One element must be charged positively and the other negatively to attract. Straw is positive or negative?

Actually, only one object needs to be charged. A charged comb can pick up uncharged dust because the dust particles become polarised and the nearer (opposite) charge is attracted more than the further (same) charge is repelled - but is further away so the net force is attraction. It's called 'induced charging' and is what's used all over in dust extractors and many other Electrostatic machines.
In the straws case, the straw is charged and the surface of the wall acquires an opposite charge by induction. Hence the sticking.
Before I had it explained, I couldn't figure out how it would work!

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in units of coulombs.

2. How does electric charge manifest in straws?

When two materials are rubbed together, they can transfer electrons from one to the other, resulting in a buildup of positive and negative charges on the surfaces of the materials. In the case of straws, the friction between the straw and a cloth or paper can cause this transfer of electrons, leading to a buildup of electric charge on the straw.

3. What causes the electric charge to stay in the straw?

The electric charge stays in the straw due to the insulating properties of the material. This means that the electrons are unable to flow easily through the material, allowing the charge to remain on the surface of the straw.

4. Can the electric charge in a straw be discharged?

Yes, the electric charge in a straw can be discharged by touching it with a conductor, such as a metal object. This allows the electrons to flow between the straw and the conductor, equalizing the charge and returning the straw to a neutral state.

5. How is the phenomenon of electric charge in straws useful?

The phenomenon of electric charge in straws is useful in various scientific and everyday applications. For example, it is the basis of static electricity, which can be harnessed for practical purposes such as powering devices or cleaning surfaces. It also plays a role in phenomena like lightning and the functioning of electronic devices.