Streamlined section - using equations to find the dimensions

In summary: You then set these equal to zero and solve for x and y, which gives you the minimum values of x and y that make u (or xy) minimum.In summary, to find the values of thickness (t), mean diameter (D) and mean length (L) that will give the minimum area for the streamlined section, you can use Calculus of Variations and define a function u in terms of t, D and L. Taking derivatives of u with respect to t, D and L and setting them equal to zero will give you a set of equations that you can solve to find the minimum values of these variables.
super sky

Homework Statement

I need to find the values of thickness (t), mean diameter (D) and mean length (L) that will give the minimum area for the streamlined section, given that it's moment of inertia is 5.42 in^4.

Homework Equations

(the I's and A's after all K's here are meant to be subscripts, but they didn't appear properly...)
I = K[tex]_{I}[/tex]tD[tex]^{3}[/tex]
K[tex]_{I}[/tex] = 0.290R+0.054

A = K[tex]_{A}[/tex]tD
K[tex]_{A}[/tex] = 1.875R+0.992

R = L/D

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute K[tex]_{I}[/tex], K[tex]_{A}[/tex], R into both equations.

I thought I'd try using a MATLAB script (attached) to run through the different values of L,D,t but I don't know how to deal with 3D equations. Also, somewhere along the way I need to use the I = 5.42, but I don't know how to use that piece of information. So instead I solved the I equation for t using that I, and substituted that into the A equation. Then, making sure that t can't be greater than or equal to D/2 (since physically, that'd mean that the thickness is bigger than the radius which is obviously ridiculous). There's also a consideration that the formulae may or may not apply when the thickness to total length ratio is greater than 1/10, so I put that in there at the end but it didn't improve things. I ran the script and did a surface plot of the area, but I don't think I'm getting a sensible plot.

After that, I'm not quite sure how I'd find my values of t, D, and L... But as a first step, getting my solution in the right form would be the priority. It'd be great if anyone could help me out.

Attachments

• try3.m
    836 bytes · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!<code>R = zeros(1,50);t = zeros(1,50);A = zeros(1,50);D = zeros(1,50);L = zeros(1,50);K_I = 0.290 * R + 0.054;K_A = 1.875 * R + 0.992;I = 5.42;for i = 1:50 L(i) = i; D(i) = i;endfor i = 1:50 R(i) = L(i)/D(i);endfor i = 1:50 t(i) = (I / (K_I(i)*D(i)^3)); if t(i) &gt;= D(i)/2 t(i) = D(i)/2; end A(i) = K_A(i) * t(i) * D(i); if R(i) &lt; 0.1 A(i) = 0; endend[L, D] = meshgrid(L, D);surface(L, D, A);</code>A:You can solve this problem using Calculus of Variations. In this case you have three independent variables (t, D and L) and you want the minimum of an expression which depends on them. The trick is to make a function of a single variable, say u, such that it is the expression you want to minimize, but this expression includes the three independent variables. So you define u as a function of t, D and L, sayu = f(t, D, L)You then take the derivatives of this with respect to t, D and L:du/dt, du/dD, du/dLYou write a set of equations using these derivatives which must be zero for the function u to have its minimum value. This gives you 3 equations in the 3 unknowns t, D and L.As an example, suppose that you wanted to find the minimum value of the expression xy. You would define u asu = xyThen, by taking

1. What is a streamlined section?

A streamlined section is a shape that is designed to minimize drag and resistance when moving through a fluid, such as air or water. This shape is typically elongated and tapered at both ends, allowing for smoother and more efficient movement.

2. How do you use equations to find the dimensions of a streamlined section?

To find the dimensions of a streamlined section, you can use a variety of equations depending on the specific shape and properties of the section. Some common equations used include the area equation, which calculates the cross-sectional area of the section, and the drag coefficient equation, which relates the drag force to the section's dimensions. By manipulating these equations, you can solve for the desired dimensions.

3. What is the significance of finding the dimensions of a streamlined section?

Finding the dimensions of a streamlined section is important in many fields, such as engineering and aerodynamics. It allows for the optimization of shapes to reduce drag and increase efficiency, which can have practical applications in designing airplanes, boats, and other vehicles that move through fluids.

4. Can equations be used to find the dimensions of any shape?

Not all shapes can be accurately described by equations, so it depends on the complexity and properties of the shape in question. Streamlined sections, however, are designed specifically with equations in mind, making it easier to find their dimensions using mathematical calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using equations to find the dimensions of a streamlined section?

While equations can provide a good estimate of the dimensions of a streamlined section, they do not account for all factors that may affect the section's performance, such as surface roughness or changes in fluid flow. Additionally, the equations may not be accurate for all shapes and may require adjustments or modifications for certain scenarios.