Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Streamlining the alphabet.

1. Nov 25, 2005 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Our alphabet is in need of an overhaul. I propose the following changes.
    Any corrections or suggestions of your own are appreciated.
    Firstly: The letter C is redundant. Its use can be easily eliminated by:
    • Substitution with the letter K, eg kan, klimb, kombustable.
    • Re-structuring of word, eg Rice becomes Reis, accent becomes aksent.
    • Ck becomes K, eg Kik, Flik.
    • Replacement of Ch with Kh, or accented K.
    Secondly: The letter Q currently cannot be used without preceeding U. This gives a character that by itself is obsolete. This requires attention.
    Options include:
    • Not including the U. Queen becomes Qeen
    • Qu is replaced by an accented Q
    • Q is eliminated entirely, and replaced by appropriate letters, eg Queen = Kween, Queue = Kyue (note elimination of extra E)
    Thirdly: the letter X adds nothing to the language. Eliminating it would be of no loss, and make scrabble a heck of a lot easier.
    • Texas becomes Teksas.
    • Xerox becomee zerocks.

:tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great ideas! Do you think we could also quit using Y as a vowel?

4. Nov 25, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Well, unless you're from Texas, then it should be spelled something like Tayeksas. :biggrin:

5. Nov 25, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to think that lmno was one letter - pronounced ellemmenno - and perhaps it should be.

6. Nov 25, 2005 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Replace the soft G with J.

George -- Jorje (dropping the first e)
    Gorge -- Gorje

Ph replaced by f

Physics = fisiks

7. Nov 25, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Careful, lad. Roentgen will start spinning in his crypt if you use the term 'eks-rays'.

8. Nov 25, 2005 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Better yet, replace all long i's with y.
    long e always as ee (no silent e's at the end of words)

Then

phycology = fykolojee

phosphide = fosfyd.

9. Nov 25, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

kool, y lyk thys. maby wee cood mäk Smylee fayce a lettr. pronouncd 'sf' as in fosforys

10. Nov 25, 2005 #9
    Write Awn Dood!

R alfabet iz in neade ov n ovirhall. Eye propoz tha fallowing chainjez.
    Ennee korrektshunz oar sugjestshunz ov uoar oan r uppreeshee8ed.
    :cool: Furstlee: Tha letter See iz redonedant. Its yoos kan b ezilee elimin8ed bi:
    Substi2shun widf tha letter K, e.jee. kan, klimb, kombustable.
    Re-strukshuring ov ward, e.jee. Ryss bkumz Reis, accent beekumz aksent.
    Ck beekumz K, e.jee. Kik, Flik.
    Replaisment ov Ch with Kh, oar aksented K.
    :cool: Sekundlee: Tha letter Q kerrentlee kannot b yoozd withowlt preeseeding Ewe. This givz a karakter that bi itsailf iz obsouleet. This rekwirz a10shun.
    Opshunz inklood:
    Nawt inklooding tha Ewe. Queen beekumz Qeen
    Qu iz replaist bi n aksented Q
    Q iz elimin8ed ntirelee, and replaist bi appropreit letterz, e.jee Queen = Kween, Queue = Kyue (noat eliminashun ov xtra E)
    :cool: Thurdlee: tha letter Eks addz zr0 2 tha langwidj. Elimin8ing it wood b ov zr0 los, + maik skrabowl a hek ov a lawt ezyer.
    Texas beekumz Teksas.
    Xerox beekumz zerokz.

11. Nov 25, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I always though kids these days were just void any english abilities. I guess they're just very progressive!

12. Nov 25, 2005 #11
    I don't know. Somehow I don't find this topic particularly humorous.

13. Nov 26, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'd propose actually spelling the change of sound when consonants are used at the end of words and consistency with vowel sounds, like "uv" instead of "of" and "wordz" instead of "words." Of course, the language snobs will hate this because it reeks of teen IM-speak, but generally speaking, phonetic spelling certainly makes things easier, especially for people learning the language. The education of immigrants would likely become more effective.

14. Nov 26, 2005 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't y'all just pick up Czech. It is a existing completely consistent alphabet. To be able to say the Czech alphabet is equivalent to reading. Of course the trick is to be able to speak the alphabet. There is one letter (r hat) which my ex-grandfather-inlaw claimed was impossible for any American to ever say correctly!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  15. Nov 26, 2005 #14
    I think this is a double plus ungood idea.

16. Nov 26, 2005 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Forget the latin alphabet, we need more practical characters. Here are a couple rules that I think should be followed:

1) Writing should be as foward moving as possible. No looping allowed. The only motion allowed is up, down and the direction the words go.
    2) No extraneous markings. No Dots over the i and j. No dashes in the middle of A's. No crosses in X's. No double bars like I's.

What is the minimum number of characters wanted? Is ten enough? One for each finger?

What direction do you want to write? Left to Right or Right to Left?

In terms of what the characters should sound like would you want a hard sounding language like hebrew or soft like french.

17. Nov 26, 2005 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes ! You don't think we already have too many people using 'of' when they should use 'have' ?

18. Nov 27, 2005 #17
    That's just because they aren't thinking. That mix up probably comes from contractions like "Should've" and "Would've".

19. Nov 27, 2005 #18
    HAHAHA mark twain already beat you to it! :tongue:

http://www.i18nguy.com/twain.html

on link off that page there's also europe's plan for improving english spelling, which i don't think is as good.

20. Nov 29, 2005 #19

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Woot! I've been saying this forever. Well, I've been saying it for more than a month, at least. Heh. Adults may resist. That's one of the drawbacks of letting people think for themselves. You have to go after the jʌŋənz. And why reinvent the wheel? Check out the IPA's system (just for fun, their alphabet is also abbreviated to IPA). Bonus: You can probably use the same alphabet for every language. :biggrin:

The problem is that "the same words" can be pronounced differently, so you still might want a standard, which presumably wouldn't make things better unless your standards took advantage of rules better than the current system does (e.g., instead of having to learn how to spell a single word, you could learn a rule that applied in a certain situation). I'm still hoping that it will catch on eventually.

Either way, u kan "brake" uh laught uv roolz & stil bee under stood, sew cevler r r minds -- cooperative too. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  21. Nov 29, 2005 #20

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I guess the only real drawback of this (aside from having to learn it all, and admit txt talkrz were right all along) is that everyone would to some degree have to adopt the regional accent and pronunciations of the person who set these new rules, as this will affect the new spellings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?