1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of Electric Field

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Halliday and Resnick edition 7 chapter 22 number 29

In Fig 22-45, positive charge q = 7.81 pC is spread uniformly along a thin nonconducting rod of length L = .145m. The y distance between the point and rod is R = .06m. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field produced at point P.

I will attempt to describe the figure:

There is a thin nonconducting rod in the x dimension with length L and a point P is directly above the center of the rod in the y dimension (R = .06m).

2. Relevant equations

E = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])(q/r[tex]^{2}[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int[/tex]dE = 1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]Rdx/(R[tex]^{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]
    I then took lamba and R out of the integral since they are constants
    (4 is not rasied to ([tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])

After taking the integral I got:

([tex]\lambda[/tex]/4[tex]\pi\epsilon[/tex])(x/R(R[tex]^{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]

When I plug in for the varibles I do not get the correct answer, I get 7.48 n/C but the correct answer is 12.4 N/C

I plug in L for x and R for R and for [tex]\lambda[/tex] I use q/L
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi glennpagano44! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ and an epsilon: ε and a pi: π and a square-root: √ :wink:)
    No … how can you still have an x when you've just eliminated x by integrating over it?

And where did that extra R come from? :confused:

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    I went back to class today and I figured it out thanks alot. I just integrated it wrong, I had to do some trig subsitutions. (that is where the extra R came from)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?