1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of ligands

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From what I've read, [Cu(H2O)6]2+ when reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid, the chloro ligand will displace the aqua ligand and form [CuCl4]2-

2. Relevant equations
    [Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- <--> [CuCl4]2- + 6H2O
    ( <---> means reversible reaction, I don't know how to type it out, sorry)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    But chloro is a weaker ligand than aqua, how can the ligand substitution reaction happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2
    I suspect the high concentration of the Cl- ions is sufficient to shift the equilibrium over to the right (Le Chatelier's principle) enough to cause a majority of the complex ions to undergo the ligand substitution.

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Water concentration is (almost) always much higher.

It is not just about the ligands, you are ignoring change of the geometry. Not that I know it is the answer here - I just see you are not taking it into account.

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4
    I also like to ask, since no one comment about that, is water a ligand or aqua? I know that both refer to H2O, but if I want to mention a ligand, which one of them, aqua/aqua ligand/water/water ligand, is more appropriate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted