Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of magnetic fields

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    I've been given the question to compute the strength in the van allen belts when given the strength of Earth's magnetic field at the surface. Then, I am supposed to calculate the gyroradius of a 50 MeV proton from the strengths I come up with. I want to know if I am going about this correctly.

Is it ok to use say that B = B (at Earth's surface) * (1r (Earth)/ r (belt radius in terms of Earth radius) ^3

For example, if B at surface is 4 *10^-5 T and inner belt radius = 1.5 (earth radii) then I will get the equation:

B = 4 *10^-5(1/1.5)^3 = 1.185 * 10^-5 T

As for the gyroradius, the formula is r = (mv/qB)--can I go ahead and assume the velocity of the proton is equal to the speed of light. The notes that I am using to carry out this problem does not specify any way of getting the velocity of a particle moving through the belts.

Please let me know if this looks ok! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted