1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength Of Materials HW HELP

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having trouble with question 1 on the attachment posted. I understand that i need to get the area of the 2 bars. I am just not sure what to do with the forces. ALso i know the picture may be dark. P2 starts at point B and is pulling to the right and P3 starts at point C and is pulling to the left.

2. Relevant equations
    I believe i use the equation A=∏d(^2)/4 to find the area but i am lost from there

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Looks like this is a test question. Perhaps you should do this on your own?

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    Its Review for our final. Its an old test The question comes right out of our text book.

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4
    after doing some research online i think i may be on the right track. The question is attchment #1 and my solution is attachment #2 .Please advise if i am doing this correctly. Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

6. Apr 26, 2012 #5
    I took that class last semester and you calcuations look correct to me, but then again i didnt ACE that class by any means

7. Apr 28, 2012 #6
    3 things. Why do you use pi on what the question says is a square section?
    Your units of stress are not what an engineer would use. Have you drawn a normal force diagram, that is, a graph showing variation of axial load from one end to the other and checked it. If you had, and included the reaction I think you wouldn't have made the mistake you have for the force in AC.

8. Apr 30, 2012 #7
    wow. I misread the question. I still believe i need to use the equation θ= P/A
    but now im not sure how to get the area of a square bar A= bh when only one dimension is given? I no whave no idea what my next step is. We have not covered normal force diagrams

9. May 2, 2012 #8
    "im not sure how to get the area of a square bar A= bh when only one dimension is given?"
    What do you understand is the difference is between a rectangular section bar and a square section bar? Do you have a working definition of the axial force at a section?
    I have told you what a normal force diagram is. Can you sketch that by calculating the axial force at every section of the bar?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook