Strength of square steel tube

In summary, the maximum weight that three 20x20mm square steel tubes can support before deforming is 1122lbs.
pHartless
I have a problem to do with my project in college. I'm creating a hanging fire pit, basically made of 3 lengths of square steel bar connected to a plate at the top and on hinges. The 3 legs of the frame move in slots and when in the open position would be at 45 degrees. The actual fire pit is hanging from the plate via a chain. My problem is that my tutor argues the weight of the chain/fire pit would cause the square tubes to bend when in the open position, but me and another tutor argue it would not- and none of know how to go about calculating it.

So does anybody know the maximum weight 3 20x20mm square steel tubes when arranged at 45 degrees like I described would be able to take before deforming?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please post a clear diagram of the assembly .

upload_2017-5-13_14-0-16.png

pHartless said:
I have a problem to do with my project in college. I'm creating a hanging fire pit, basically made of 3 lengths of square steel bar connected to a plate at the top and on hinges. The 3 legs of the frame move in slots and when in the open position would be at 45 degrees. The actual fire pit is hanging from the plate via a chain. My problem is that my tutor argues the weight of the chain/fire pit would cause the square tubes to bend when in the open position, but me and another tutor argue it would not- and none of know how to go about calculating it.

So does anybody know the maximum weight 3 20x20mm square steel tubes when arranged at 45 degrees like I described would be able to take before deforming?

Is this designed as using square bar, or square tube? If it is tube, what is the wall thickness of the tube?

It is using square tube, wall thickness being 2mm

Likes RogueOne
(1) Intuitively 20 mm square tubes which are 1850 mm long would seem to be a bit feeble to support any significant load unless they were additionally braced somehow .

(2) Even if the actual legs were adequate for your purpose I would still be concerned about the stability of the tripod because there does not seem to be any very reliable means of stopping the legs spreading and causing the tripod to collapse as a mechanism .

(3) Try modifying the design and post a new sketch when you have finished .

Last edited:
the legs move in slots in a plate just below the plate they are attached to by the hinges, which prevents them from spreading. Can you not scrutinize my design I'm not asking you for design advice, my question was what's the maximum weight they could take before deforming and if you can help me with that great.

Likes RogueOne
Actually, his question clarified for me that this structure can be thought of as a space frame, which makes it much more simple to calculate.

The bending forces put on the tubes will be negligible. Most of the laod will be longitudinal to the tube's lengths. So this becomes a question, mostly, of their buckling/compressive strength.

The amount of load that can be applied downward by a chain connected to the top, theoretically, will be 3x the buckling strength of one of those square tubes. Do you know any of the ansi standards for the tube that you want to use? If not, I could make assumptions and tell you an approximate strength.

For a 73" long square tube with a .065" (16 gauge) wall thickness made of steel, The maximum column load is 374lbs.

If you make your frame precisely enough to distribute that load perfectly, then your frame will accept somewhere around 1122lbs net weight hanging from the top of them.

However, if you actually light a fire in that hanging grate, then the steel will heat up. If it gets hot enough from the fire, it will lose strength.

Look it up in the Machinist Hand Book formulas are there. Compression strength is many times stronger than bending strength for 3 legs at a 45 degree angle. 20mm will be very strong.

I built 1 of those for camping from 3/8" round steel rods it holds up a 15 lb pot of stew easy over the fire. 3/8" hollow rods would have been better much lighter weight for hauling around. My 3 legs were about 5 ft tall at 30 degree angle.

Likes RogueOne
Keep in mind that the tubes are hinge-jointed. "pin jointed" describes it as well. That is important in defining this structure.

In that arrangement, assuming the legs aren't restrained i.e. pin jointed, at the top from moving wider, the legs are purely in compression. At 45degrees, the load on each is the weight*(root2)/3. That does make for an slightly unstable tripod though. Unless the tubes are bent to start with, they are unlikely to buckle. A larger, thinner wall tube will be even stiffer.

What is the strength of square steel tube?

The strength of a square steel tube depends on several factors, including the grade of steel used, the dimensions of the tube, and the manufacturing process. Generally, square steel tubes have high strength due to their shape and the material they are made from.

How is the strength of square steel tube measured?

The strength of square steel tube is typically measured in terms of its yield strength and ultimate tensile strength. Yield strength is the amount of stress the tube can withstand before it begins to deform permanently, while ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress the tube can withstand before breaking.

What are the advantages of using square steel tube for strength?

Square steel tubes offer several advantages for strength, including their high strength-to-weight ratio, resistance to bending and torsion, and ability to handle heavy loads. They are also easy to fabricate, making them a versatile option for a variety of applications.

How does the strength of square steel tube compare to other shapes?

Square steel tubes are generally stronger than round or rectangular tubes of the same material and dimensions. This is due to their shape, which distributes weight and stress more evenly along the length of the tube. However, the specific strength of a tube will also depend on the grade and thickness of the steel used.

What are the common applications of square steel tube for strength?

Square steel tubes are commonly used in construction, engineering, and manufacturing industries for their strength and durability. They are often used in building frames, support structures, and as components in machinery and equipment. They are also commonly used for transportation and infrastructure projects.