How to Derive Equation 2 for Stress Analysis in Flywheels

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress analysis derivation for flywheels, specifically the equation that arises from a differential force balance in the radial direction. The limit of this equation is taken, resulting in the simplified equation that includes the small angle approximation. The conversation also mentions a helpful drawing of the differential element and explains the presence of various terms in the equation.
James Brady
Hello, I'm trying to follow along with the stress analysis derivation for flywheels given here, but I'm stuck at the point where it says:2⋅σ t⋅δrsin(1/2⋅δθ) + σrδθ - (σr + δσr) (r + σr )θδθ = ρr2ω2δr ⋅δθ

in the limit reduces to:

[tex]σ_t- σ_r - r⋅\frac{dσ_r}{dr}= \rho⋅r^2 ω^2[/tex]

I'm a little rusty on limits and how to perform them. If you follow the link, there's a pretty good drawing of the differential element which explains equation 1. I'm just not sure how to get equation 2.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This all comes from a differential force balance in the radial direction. The free body has sides rdθ and dr. The σt term comes from the hoop stress. The σr terms come from the radial direction, and takes into account the variation of r across the free body radially. The term on the right hand side is the centripetal force term.

Chet

I understand why all the forces on the stress element are there. I just don't understand how the limit is taken. For instance, why the first term, 2⋅σ t⋅δrsin(1/2⋅δθ), reduces to σt. I know it's probably just some basic mathematics here, but my experience with limits was a while back and it mostly involved ratios.

##\sin(x) \approx x## for small x.

All terms have δr δθ as common factor at leading order, which gets removed to give the second equation.

Likes James Brady
Ah, the small angle approximation. I totally forgot about that. Thank you.

1. What is stress analysis for flywheel?

Stress analysis for flywheel is a process of evaluating the mechanical stresses and strains experienced by a flywheel, a rotating mechanical device used to store and release energy. This analysis is important in designing flywheels that can withstand high speeds and torque without failure.

2. Why is stress analysis important for flywheels?

Stress analysis is important for flywheels because it helps identify potential failure points and allows for the optimization of design parameters to ensure safe and efficient operation. It also helps in selecting suitable materials and manufacturing processes for flywheels.

3. What are the common methods used for stress analysis of flywheels?

Common methods used for stress analysis of flywheels include finite element analysis (FEA), analytical methods, and experimental testing. FEA is the most widely used method as it allows for accurate and detailed simulation of stresses and strains in complex flywheel designs.

4. What factors affect the stress analysis of flywheels?

The stress analysis of flywheels is affected by factors such as the material properties, operating conditions, and geometry of the flywheel. The speed, torque, and temperature also have a significant impact on the stress analysis results.

5. How can stress analysis be used to optimize flywheel designs?

Stress analysis can be used to optimize flywheel designs by identifying areas of high stress concentration and improving the design in those regions. It can also help in selecting the most suitable material and design parameters to ensure the flywheel can withstand the expected loads and operate safely and efficiently.