Stress analysis of bed design

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a stress analysis on a bed design. The design involves a top bunk under a 90kg load and is made of 20mm thick plywood. The width of the leg supports needs to be determined and the conversation also touches on the complexities of analyzing wood as a composite material. The suggestion is made to research furniture testing and certification for guidelines. Overall, the main focus is on determining the necessary thickness and support for the bed design.
cabellos
Stress analysis of bed design...

I have a bed design and i need to do a stress analysis of the top bunk under a 90kg load. I will be designing it from 20mm thick plywood but i need to work out whether this is thick enough to support the load and also determine the width of the leg supports.

In the diagram (attached) the bed slides up on slide rails into a locking position and 4 legs are pulled down fitting into holes in the lower bunk.

View attachment Assembly1.pdf

Please can people offer me some hints on how to go about this problem? Thankyou,

Cabellos.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Actually, no you can't. Plywood, like any other form of wood is technically anisotropic. You need to be able to account for varying material properties in different directions. An analysis with wood, or any other composite, is not a trivial task, especially when it comes to getting complete material properties. In the case of all woods, you have the added bonus of trying to nail down moisture content as well. In the case of plywood you are very much dealing with a composite because you have many lamina stacked with adhesive boding between them. That means you can have varying properties not only in the wood, but between the wood and the adhesive layers as well.

I would suggest doing some research into the testing and certification of furniture, especially in the realm of children's furniture to see if there are any rules of thumb or design guidelines that can help you.

The width of the leg supports should be easy enough to work out from basic statics. The stresses are something all together different.

1. What is stress analysis of bed design?

Stress analysis of bed design is a process that involves examining the structural integrity and load-bearing capacity of a bed. It is done to ensure that the bed is able to support the weight of the user and any additional weight, such as bedding and furniture, without breaking or deforming.

2. Why is stress analysis important for bed design?

Stress analysis is important for bed design because it helps to identify potential weaknesses or flaws in the design that could lead to failure or discomfort for the user. It allows designers to make necessary adjustments to ensure that the bed is safe, durable, and comfortable for use.

3. How is stress analysis of bed design conducted?

Stress analysis of bed design can be conducted using various methods, such as computer simulations, physical testing, and mathematical calculations. These methods help to determine the amount of stress and strain the bed will experience under different loads and conditions, and whether it meets safety and performance standards.

4. What factors are considered in stress analysis of bed design?

Several factors are considered in stress analysis of bed design, including the materials used, the design and construction of the bed, the weight and movements of the user, and any additional loads that the bed may be subjected to. These factors help to determine the overall strength and stability of the bed.

5. What are the benefits of conducting stress analysis for bed design?

The benefits of conducting stress analysis for bed design include ensuring the safety and comfort of the user, identifying potential design flaws early on, and reducing the risk of product failure. It also allows for improvements to be made to the design, leading to a more durable and reliable product.