1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress anaylsis inquiry

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For reasons based on cost,weight,availability , etc., the choice is made to construct the rod from aluminum of
    σall = 100 MPA. What is an appropriate choice for the rod diameter ? Givens: (P=50 KN)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    σall=P/A , then he get the Area and from area he then gets the Diameter=25.2mm

Then he said an aluminum rod 26m or more in diameter is adequate
    My question is : why an aluminum rod of 26m or more in diameter is adequate ?!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

25.2 mm diameter required, use 26 mm, not 26 m

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    I meant 26mm , I don't know why 26mm or more . Why not less and why more ?

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If 25.2 mm diameter is required, then if you use a lesser diameter, you will exceed the allowable stress. So you have to round up to the next available greater diameter. I am not familiar with metric diameters available for aluminum rod, if 26 mm dia not available, you'll have to go to say 30 mm diameter, or whatever is in stock that is in that range.

6. Mar 6, 2015 #5
    Great .Thank you very much !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted