Maximum Bore Diameter for Axial Tensile Load question

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of boring a solid circular section bar to create a cylinder and determining the maximum diameter of the bore possible while maintaining an allowable stress based on a factor of safety. The calculated allowed stress was found to be 241MPa and the final answer for the maximum diameter was determined to be 15.3 mm. The incorrect answer of 5.59 x 10-6 was mentioned but was found to be incorrect.
MMCS
A 25mm diameter solid circular section bar made from given material tested is to be
bored axially to produce a cylinder of uniform thickness. If this cylinder is then subjected
to an axial tensile load of 75kN, what is the maximum diameter of the bore possible if the
stress in the cylinder is not to exceed an allowable stress based on a factor of safety of
1.33 of the yield stress

Yield Stress: 320MPa
E: 205GPa
B = bore radius
Calculated allowed stress σ/1.33 = 241MPA
I use σ = F/A
A=F/σ

∏*( r - B)2 = 75000/241MPa

∏*( 0.0125 - B)2 = 75000/241MPa

Is this the right up to now? i have continued to work this out and don't get the correct answer of 5.59 x 10-6

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation on the left side should be

π(r2-B2)

Ok so i get (1.563*10-4-B2) = 9.906*10-5

B2=(9.906*10-5)-1.563*10-4B2= -5.719*10-5

It doesn't seem right have i went wrong?

I have just changed some of that, put it in wrong

What are your units?

i converted radius into metres before using them in the equation

MMCS said:
(1.563*10-4-B2) = 9.906*10-5

B2=(9.906*10-5)-1.563*10-4
Try that step again, being more careful with the signs.

Paying attention to the signs i get 5.724*10^-5 = b^2
once i square root that my answer becomes way off from the correct answer of 5.59 x 10-6

MMCS said:
Paying attention to the signs i get 5.724*10^-5 = b^2
once i square root that my answer becomes way off from the correct answer of 5.59 x 10-6

That's because 5.59 x 10-6 is not the correct answer. You have done the problem correctly now, and the value of b is 0.00756 m. The diameter 2b is 0.01513 m, or 15.3 mm. Congratulate yourself. Where did you get the 5.59 x 10-6 from?

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to an object, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object due to the applied stress.

2. What are the types of stress and strain?

The types of stress are tensile, compressive, and shear, while the types of strain are normal and shear.

3. How is stress and strain measured?

Stress is typically measured in units of force over area, such as N/m2 or Pa, while strain is dimensionless and is usually measured as a percentage or in units of length/length.

4. What factors can affect stress and strain in an object?

The material properties of the object, such as its elasticity and strength, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, can affect stress and strain in an object.

5. What are some common applications of stress and strain in engineering?

Stress and strain are important considerations in designing and testing structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplanes. They are also used in materials testing and in the study of material behavior under different conditions.