Have You Heard the Incredible Story of the ATM Check?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, Patrick Combs deposited a fake check into his bank's ATM machine and was surprised when it was cashed. He continues his story and reveals that he is a fascinating individual.
jimmy p
Gold Member
i found a cool website to relieve any boredom/stress

http://www.damell.net/yp010.swf [Broken]

see if you can beat my top distance...323.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
are you serious, someone suggested that same site to me a few days ago... I played until I was nausious from seasicknes, I believe I had 323.9! though!

[b(] and i thought i did good...

I was in a competitive game on MSN

i was in a competitive game, and got 323.4 then just before my friend left, he sent me a pic of him getting 323.5 . I feel so inadequate!

Im bored and the Link aint working!

Hmmm you just don't have enough patience.

I'm getting a 404...

But seeing as you mention distances, I assume this is the infamous "Smack the Pingu" game...

it is indeed the 'smack the pingu' game. That has stopped working what's the point in that? GAR! just cos i bring it to everyones attention it stops working.

Lol i was sent a link last nite,

http://meph.eu.org/

and there it is in from my history folder.

I managed 577 last nite, but was trying to beat someone else's score of 588.3

this is another boredom releasing activity in our lab

http://www.flingthecow.com/flash/ [Broken]

My Personal Best so far 567.4

Ah Reached 575.7

6th or 7th try:

i'd take a screenshot if i knew how... (print screen button won't work)

EDIT: anyone know how to take a screenshot (in Opera)
i still have it open

Last edited:
588.8 after [tex]\infy[/tex] try

587.1 on my third try!

Now 593.5!

Last edited:
What is also fun is to see what the smallest distance you can hit it is...and i mean HIT...the smallest i have hit it is 228.6

k, just got 190.9

593.5 is the maximum on the penguin smack game

6 or 7 people I've talked to have gotten that as their high score

This deserves a thread on its own, but anyhow.. any knows the pink panther?

http://www.bored.com/nosepilot/real.html [Broken]
The imagery is just classic!

The key to the penguin game is to hit a line drive so he slides across the snow a few times... If you hit it too high, he buries into the ground and doesn't bounce for that extra 50-100 units.

i just got 593 flat...

More boredom relief: I've been reading this account and it is truly amazing http://www.goodthink.com/$$tablecontents.html [Broken]

On a whim, Patrick Combs deposited into his bank's ATM machine one of those "fake" checks you get in a junk mail letter, never expecting it to get cashed. But, to his surprise, they did cash it. That was only the beginning of his fascinating true story. Hear his amazing saga from beginning to end.

I should've gone to sleep two hours ago.. but I just have to finish the story..

1. What is the story behind the ATM check?

The ATM check story is about a man named John Shepherd-Barron who invented the first automated teller machine (ATM) in the 1960s. He got the idea for the ATM after being unable to withdraw money from his bank after hours, and he thought there must be a better way.

2. How did the ATM check work?

The ATM check worked by using a specially designed paper check that was chemically treated with carbon-14, a radioactive isotope. This allowed the ATM machine to read the check and dispense the appropriate amount of cash to the user.

3. When was the first ATM check used?

The first ATM check was used on June 27, 1967 at a Barclays bank in London, England. It was used by a man named Reg Varney, who was an actor and the star of the popular British TV show "On the Buses".

4. Who invented the ATM check?

The ATM check was invented by John Shepherd-Barron, a Scottish inventor and entrepreneur. He worked for the printing company De La Rue and was inspired to create the ATM after being unable to withdraw money from his bank after hours.

5. How did the invention of the ATM change banking?

The invention of the ATM revolutionized banking by allowing people to access their money anytime, anywhere. It also reduced the need for bank tellers and allowed for faster, more convenient transactions. Today, there are millions of ATMs all over the world, making banking easier and more accessible for everyone.