Calculating Minimum Column Length for Buckling: Stress and Variables

• Thread starter Niall11
  • Start date
In summary, the problem statement, all variables and given/known are incorrect and need to be reworked.
Niall11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
I have been asked to calculate the minimum length of this column (attatched) at which buckling is likely to occur

Homework Equations

E.S.R = sqrt(π^2*E / σ)

2nd moment of Area I = AK^2

E.S.R = L/K

I= π/32*(D^4-d^4)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

so E.S.R = sqrt(π^2*200*10^9 / 140*10^6) = 118.74

Since I = AK^2 and E.S.R = L/K
L= (E.S.R)*K = (E.S.R)*sqrt(I/A)

so I = π/32 * (0.08^4-0.06^4) = 2.75*10-6Now L = 188.7 * sqrt(2.75*10-6 / Area)

ive got that far but don't know a suitable equation for area, I'm not looking for answers just for someone who can tell me if I'm on the right track, any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• STRESS-BUCKLING COLUMN.PNG
    STRESS-BUCKLING COLUMN.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
Niall11 said:
I have been asked to calculate the minimum length of this column (attatched) at which buckling is likely to occur

Homework Equations

E.S.R = sqrt(π^2*E / σ)

E.S.R = L/K

I= π/32*(D^4-d^4)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

so E.S.R = sqrt(π^2*200*10^9 / 140*10^6) = 118.74

Since I = AK^2 and E.S.R = L/K
L= (E.S.R)*K = (E.S.R)*sqrt(I/A)

so I = π/32 * (0.08^4-0.06^4) = 2.75*10-6Now L = 188.7 * sqrt(2.75*10-6 / Area)

ive got that far but don't know a suitable equation for area, I'm not looking for answers just for someone who can tell me if I'm on the right track, any help would be appreciated!

They're talking about the area of the cross section of the column. You are given the outer diameter and the inner diameter of the column.

What else do you need? Do you know how to calculate the area of a circle?

thanks for the fast reply, I was thinking I needed the area of the whole column for some reason.

yes area of circle = π*r^2 so area of outer circle - area of inner circle = cross sectional area of column;

π (0.04)^2 - π(0.03)^2 = 2.199*10^-3 m^2

meaning L = 118.7 * sqrt(2.75*10^-6 / 2.199*10^-3) = 4.19m

effective length is 1/2 of the column length for a column which both ends fixed therefore length = 4.19m * 2 = 8.38m

Niall11 said:

Homework Equations

E.S.R = sqrt(π^2*E / σ)

E.S.R = L/K

I= π/32*(D^4-d^4)

This formula for the second moment of area of the column is incorrect. You used the polar moment, which is Ix + Iy

You are supposed to use the least value of the second moment of area, which for a circle is I = (π/64)D4

Since this is a hollow cylinder, I = (π/64)*(Do4 - Di4)

You'll have to re-do your calculations of the length of the column accordingly.

Likes Niall11
oh right I have on my notes that least 2nd moment of area is π/32(D^4-d^4)!

so least 2nd moment of area = π/64 (D^4-d^4) = π/64 (0.08^4-0.06^4) = 1.374 * 10^-6

now effective L comes out at 2.94m and length 5.94m!
I'm hoping that is correct if I've used all the right formulae

Niall11 said:
oh right I have on my notes that least 2nd moment of area is π/32(D^4-d^4)!

so least 2nd moment of area = π/64 (D^4-d^4) = π/64 (0.08^4-0.06^4) = 1.374 * 10^-6

now effective L comes out at 2.94m and length 5.94m!
I'm hoping that is correct if I've used all the right formulae
Yes, your length calculation looks correct now.

FWIW, this same problem has cropped up on PF several times before.

Likes Niall11
Thanks a lot that was a big help, oh right I didn't realize ill look next time!

If the effective length is half of the actual length, are those figures not incorrect? I only ask cause I'm doing the same course and wanted to check. Is the effective length not 2.968m?

Marv K said:
If the effective length is half of the actual length, are those figures not incorrect? I only ask cause I'm doing the same course and wanted to check. Is the effective length not 2.968m?
The effective length is approx. 2.94 m, but the OP made a slight error in doubling this figure to find the actual length, which should be approx. 5.88 m.

Ok, sorry to be annoying, but worried I've done it wrong now.

If E.S.R. = 118.74

I = 1.374*10^-6

A = 2.199*10^-3

Then the equation is Le = 118.74*sqrt(1.374*10^-6)/(2.199*10^-3)

Which equals 2.968m?

Also, sorry if I've written that equation terribly.

Marv K said:
Ok, sorry to be annoying, but worried I've done it wrong now.

If E.S.R. = 118.74

I = 1.374*10^-6

A = 2.199*10^-3

Then the equation is Le = 118.74*sqrt(1.374*10^-6)/(2.199*10^-3)

Which equals 2.968m?

Also, sorry if I've written that equation terribly.
I'm not sure what you point is here. Le = 2.968 m or Le = 2.94 m is the same number for all intents, given that this is a buckling problem.

Depending on how you round the intermediate computations, there will be some variation in the fractional portion of the final result.

1. What is stress and how does it relate to buckling?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces acting on a material, and it is typically caused by external loads. Buckling occurs when a material experiences compressive stress that exceeds its critical buckling stress, causing it to deform or collapse.

2. What factors contribute to the likelihood of buckling?

The likelihood of buckling is influenced by the material properties, such as its stiffness and strength, as well as the geometry and boundary conditions of the structure. External loads, such as weight or pressure, also play a role in buckling.

3. How is buckling different from other forms of structural failure?

Buckling is a specific type of structural failure that occurs due to compressive stress, whereas other forms of failure, such as yielding or fracture, may be caused by tensile stress. Buckling can also occur suddenly and without warning, making it a particularly dangerous form of failure.

4. How do scientists study and predict buckling in materials and structures?

Scientists use mathematical models, such as finite element analysis, to simulate the behavior of materials and structures under different loading conditions. They also conduct experiments, such as compression tests, to measure the critical buckling stress of a material and validate their models.

5. Can buckling be prevented or controlled?

Buckling can be prevented or controlled by designing structures with appropriate stiffness and strength, as well as considering the effects of external loads. Reinforcing materials with additional supports or using thicker materials can also help prevent buckling. Additionally, regular inspections and maintenance can help identify any potential issues before they lead to buckling.