1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress calculations on a disk plate

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to determine the calculation to use to determine the force at which a disk plate will fail for the following set up.

The disk is slid onto a metal bung for a roll, the disk is supported from the inside diameter for around 50mm. A force is then applied on the oppsite side of the support uniformly to the entire face of the disk. Please see image below for clarity. The blue part is the disk and the red is the bung.

View attachment Plate.bmp

Just wondering what equation I should be using to determine the force to which the disk will fail assuming I know the properties of the disk.

Any help would be much appreciated, I hope the explanation is in enough detail.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2
    I did find out the force which would cause failure by looking at only a rectangular section of the disk. I am not sure how to look at it or how it would differ in 3d.

4. Dec 25, 2011 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please see duplicate thread at thread 560638.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook