1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress Concentration Factor

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    Hello, in a recent lecture on introductory engineering, our professor made reference to a stress concentration factor that pops up due to inconsistencies or changes in the shape of a material subject to a load.

The introduction he gave referenced a method of stopping cracks by drilling a hole in them, and this point didn't settle well with me. It seems counterintuitive--the only way I was able to reconcile with this idea is in--say a steel rectangular bar, that the hole's added area to the bar creates a larger surface for the crack to attempt to propagate along (the area I mean is (pi*diameter)(depth of material).

Is this an incorrect way of thinking about this situation? Or does it just mean that the stress concentration factor of a crack in a member under load is greater than one with a hole in it--and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Without knowing the specifics, e.g. geometry, I think the professor is implying that drilling a hole effectively blunts the crack, and the local stress in the material is redistributed over a large surface rather in the vicinity of the crack tip, which is usually very sharp.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That is exactly the point being made. That is a very common method for stopping/delaying crack propagation in aircraft structures (when in areas allowed) and is known as "stop drilling". The tip of a crack is an extremely complex area. The drill spot opens up that geometry and spreads the loading out over a larger area as Astronuc pointed out. Fatigue in the crack tip zone still is a point of concern though.

5. Mar 15, 2008 #4
    ok here's the mathematical reply.

If you have an elliptical crack in an infinite plate, the Stress Concentration factor theory says that the stress at the vicinity of the crack is SCF = 1 + 2a/b. So, as the crack goes sharper (a/b increases), the SCF increases. The idea then is to reduce the SCF by making it blunt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?