Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress concentration in a chamfer (rather than a fillet) of an axially loaded rod

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    Hello, I have a rod of two different diameters and I'm trying to find the stress concentration at the chamfer between the two diameters. I understand how to find the stress concentration factor, K, if the joint was a fillet (using r/d and D/d to find K in the appropriate table). However I can't find any way of getting K for a chamfered joint. Please help point me in some direction. Thanks so much. I've attached a quick diagram showing the filleted and chamfered versions of the shaft. The chamfered one is the actual piece I'm trying to find K for.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2
    I would make a model in SolidWorks or some other CAD program, and do stress analysis. Should be pretty easy.

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There is no reference in either Peterson's or Roark's for this. I do remember Q_Goest having the same post a year or so ago. You may want to do a search for that thread. I can not remember what conclusion he came to. I would start by treating it as a very small radius, which in reality is the truth. You will not machine a perfectly sharp corner.

5. Dec 23, 2009 #4

minger

Science Advisor

Chamfers are by definition sharp corners. Getting real stress results from a sharp corner numerically is quite a challenge, dare I say impossible. It's hard enough getting real stress numbers in a fillet where you can actually get grid to follow the surface.

You may have to assume a filleted case and take some sort of worst conservative case.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook