Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress Concentrations

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to where the highest stress would be in a member that is tubular steel that has been bent 90degrees with a 3" center line radius. Would it be in the center of the curve or would it be just outside of the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of load is being applied to it? If it's a uniform bend its likely the maximum stress will be at the inside radius in the center of the bend, but it will depend somewhat on where and how the load is being applied.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    Sorry I wasnt more specific. I have attached a picture that is more like what I am actually interested in. Its not exactly what I described in my first post, but hopefully it is pretty clear.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4
    Highest stress is most probably on the inside on the end, where the tube is in compression.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The highest stress will be in the region with the highest bending stress. Any ideas on where the highest bending stress would be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook